Display the WordPress admin or editor username

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Display the WordPress admin or editor username

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    J Garner
    Participant

Yes well I think even if I did read all the code I’m not sure I’d pick up on everything that it is doing anyway 🙁

J Garner
    Participant

Oh that’s cool, 2 very useful things I didn’t even realise I could do with BPS Pro !

You then (if you are discovering PHP like myself) need to figure out all the different ways an author name link and or value could be coded and start searching…

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Exactly and then mulitiply that by 10,000 and you have your parameters to check.  We will most likely never pursue something like that since it would be a huge waste of time and resources for something like this.

J Garner
    Participant

Oh, a mere 10,000, it would be a breeze then 😉

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yeah we will not go in that direction see my statement above – time sucker for a low value priority with little to no importance in the big scheme of things === NO GO.  😉

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

So let’s say you want to check all of your plugins to see if any of them are using this function:  the_author_link.  You would use the Pro-Tools String Finder and search your plugins folder.  Any plugins that are using this function will be displayed in the results with the file and code line where that function is being used.  It is a very handy tool, but like I said you need to add the search parameter so you need to know what you want to look for in the first place.

Vandenhaas
    Participant

I just tried the String  Replace procedures and now every page I try to go to is completely white and blank. Me thinks I majorly goofed!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Uh yeah that is not a toy.  LOL  You are literally changing code in files.  If you change the code to some code that is not valid then your website will display blank.  Restore your website files for whatever files you modified with the String Replacer tool.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

If you just want to see how it works then use Preview Mode.
    If you really want to change code then make sure you know what you are doing before using Write Mode.

Vandenhaas
    Participant

No matter where I try to go now, it shows a blank page. BTW, I backed-up all 4 of the root files. I guess I have top go into the CPanel and turn off the plugins and start over?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You have modified the existing code in your website files.  You will need to restore your website files from a backup.

Vandenhaas
    Participant

I know this isnt your problem, but would you know how to get into the files for a WP site that is active and I can see it, but the log-in screen is gone? I signed into the Hostgator VPS that its hosted on, but there are no accounts listed anymore or files to access to do a backup/re-code. Looking for help elsewhere, just thought Id ask.

Thanks for any help, but I know its not your area of responsibility.

american-liberty-tree.com

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I guess you have never done a restore from a backup.  This is a very simple and quick thing to do that only takes 5-10 minutes to do, but if you have never done this before then I guess you would not know what I am talking about.

HostGator has a backup Wizard tool in cPanel, but if you have not created any file backups then you will not have a backup to restore from.  Do you have a backup plugin installed?  If so, what you want to do is do a file restore (not a database restore) of files back to 5-22.

I am not sure what you did with the String Replacer/Remover tool, but it may be possible to use the BPS Pro backup files in the /wp-content/bps-backup/autorestore folder to restore your website files manualy.  That will depend on what you did with the String Replacer/Remover tool.

Before I explain how you would do that let me know if you have a backup plugin installed and have a file backup you can restore from.

Vandenhaas
    Participant

Not exactly sure what kind of back-up I have or dont have. Hostagtor backs things up, but when I log into the WHM there are no accounts or files to edit or restore from. Its like there is nothing there. Nothing to choose, or click on or anything. I can sign-in , but there’s nothing there to look at. Any reference to the ns1./ns2.domain subdomain stuff is non-existant. Yes, perhaps connecting directly thru FileZilla or Cyber Duck. Will see. Gonna ask HG first.

I used String Finder to selcet what string to find, what to replace it with, and where to replace at. Clicked submit. Went to check to see if it in fact replaced it, and it showed it had not. Had ARC turned OFF, but the files were locked, now that I remember. Since nothing happened, I hit refresh. No change. Then I backed -up the 4 Root files. Ooops, Wasnt thinking there.

There were 5  places in the (author-template.php) file that showed the “the_author_link” string, and replaced without “_link”. Just wanted to let you know what I did.

Thanks, will be talking to HG about restore.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

BPS does not have the capability to affect anything regarding your Host Control Panel or your Hosting account settings stuff so most likely you are not checking in the right place in WHM, not logged into the right account, etc.  😉  Yep, simply just replacing the files that were modified by using the String Remover/Replacer tool will fix the problem.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.