Display the WordPress admin or editor username

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Display the WordPress admin or editor username

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

If you cannot remember which files you modified then download the String Replacer/Remover log file.  You will see exactly what was done in the log file and can just replace those files.

/wp-content/bps-backup/logs/string_replacer_log.txt

BPS Pro String Replacer / Remover Log

*********** BPS String Replacer Log Entry - January 12, 2013 - 10:38 am ************
    Search Path: C:\\xampp2\\htdocs7\\aitpro/test.php
    Search String: variable-test --- Replacement String: test-completed
    Original Content: $test = 'variable-test';

File Path and Code Line: C:\\xampp2\\htdocs7\\aitpro/test.php, line 13
    Vandenhaas
    Participant

This problem occured when I tried to use the String Finder to drop the (_link) from a string. Based on what I previously described to you, are you saying I could have used the SF functions correctly, but it just broke the theme/site? And the fact that all the WHM files are gone is a separate problem? I only have one WHM account, so having the wrong account is not possible. Ones enough for me,right now! Ha!

I will report what I find so to add to this forum so others may benefit from the solution.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You modified valid code and made it invalid.  This will always crash a website.  Strings can be text or code.  If you do not understand how to edit code or make changes to code then you should not edit any strings that are code.

What would have worked would have been to comment out the function by adding 2 slashes // in front of the function, but instead you modified a valid function to create a new function that is not valid.  That will always crash a website.

BPS does not have the capability to affect anything regarding your Host Control Panel or your Hosting account settings stuff so most likely you are not checking in the right place in WHM, not logged into the right account, etc.  What this means is that is impossible for BPS to do what you are describing since there is no code in BPS that can do anything like this.

Solutions have already been posted so no need to repost exactly what I have already posted.

1. Restore all of your website files.

2.  Or download the String Replacer/Remover log file.  You will see exactly what was done in the log file and can just replace those files or edit the code to fix the mistakes you made.

Vandenhaas
    Participant

Sometimes emails dont convey the tone of words and there is miscommunication. I was not being argumentative or confrontational. I have never thought BPS did anything to my site. I understand clearly now that what I used BPS to do was incorrect and broke the site. The fact that I cant access the files is a separate problem not caused by BPS, but by my braking the code. Was just looking to confirm what I was unsure I understood.

You have been very helpful. Thanks for your patience

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok here is the deal.  I am not posting and explaining things to only you directly.  I am writing keeping in mind that many 1,000’s of others may find any particular Forum Topic.

It is very important to be very clear about what is posted and said, otherwise people start to misunderstand things and the confusion starts.  This can create a massive snowball of confusion and misunderstanding (you see this all over the Internet with sites that copy and regurgitate bad information) so I always make sure to leave no doubt about what is said and only try to state valid facts.

Grey areas, unclear explanations and incorrect information lead to massive snowballs of confusion…every time.  If you felt that I was somehow emotional about how the facts were stated then I apologize if it came across that way.  I like to restate facts if they are not understood the first time I have stated them because snowballs of confusion can start at any point/place where non-factual information is stated.

“The fact that I cant access the files is a separate problem not caused by BPS, but by my braking the code.”

This statement above needs correction to make it clearer so there is no chance of confusion.  The only problem that occurred by using the String Replacer/Remover Tool is this.  You modified valid code and entered invalid code in its place.  This caused your website to crash because you have invalid code now on your website.  The issue with your Control panel has nothing at all to do with BPS because BPS does not have the capability to affect a Host Control Panel.  Hopefully this makes everything crystal clear to you and to anyone else who reads this Forum Topic.

Vandenhaas
    Participant

Outstanding!

Vandenhaas
    Participant

If you cannot remember which files you modified then download the String Replacer/Remover log file.  You will see exactly what was done in the log file and can just replace those files.

Great Thanks. Went directly into CPanel, found the file that held the String Log File and maually put back what I improperly replaced. Its all good now.

And I also promise to use better topic discipline in the future.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Great!

Actually you were fine.  I deleted all the posts that Mark added because although they were similar to the general idea of the Topic they were going down a WarriorForum road.  If you have visited that site then you know what I mean.  😉  Topics start out with discussing one thing and before long the topic goes off in a million different unrelated directions.

Vandenhaas
    Participant

Ok, this is the topic about “username” as opposed to “display name” being publicly available, and therefore being acquired by brute-force attackers.

Before the digression into my other problems, I believe that was the topic. Last I understood was that BPS String Finder & Replace/Remover  “could” be used to find code strings that allow the info to be public, but you need to determine exactly/all the strings/code that are relevant to that being executed.

And makes sure you know what your doing, and use Preview Mode to confirm before going LIVE.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

1 tangent is allowed per Topic max.  😉

Chris Moon
    Participant

[Topic has been merged into this relevant Topic]

The usernames I use on my sites are a 27 ciffer combination of numbers and letters yet I’m occasionally seeing my own username in the Login Security Alert. How can a hacker get hold of my username?

Wishing you a very happy and successfull new year.
    Chris

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

If someone is logging in with your user account then they know the username of that user account. WordPress itself, Plugins and Themes can all display your user account name publicly on your website – typically with the the_author_link() function or other WordPress functions that display the author url and display your user account name publicly.

Things you can do to protect publicly displayed usernames, not exposing author names/user account names, etc.
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/protect-login-page-from-brute-force-login-attacks/
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/user-account-locked/
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/revealing-the-admin-or-editor-user-name-and-not-knowing/
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/wordpress-author-enumeration-bot-probe-protection-author-id-user-id/

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.