secure.htaccess does not exist

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free secure.htaccess does not exist

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Joe Man
    Participant

Hi, Happy new year!

I’ve just installed Bulletproof free version on a new wordpress site and I get this message below when trying to activate root folder bulletproof mode.

The file /home/xxx/xxx/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/htaccess/secure.htaccess is not writable or does not exist.
    Check that the file is named secure.htaccess and that the file exists in the /bulletproof-security/admin/htaccess master folder. If this is not the problem clickHERE to go the the BulletProof Security Forum.

The above files does exist and it is set to 644.

I have tried to look for the htaccess file in the wordpress root and admin but they do not exist. i.e. in these folders:
    /.htaccess
    /wp-admin/.htacess

Please advise…

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Most likely you have a DSO Server and will need to do additional BPS setup steps to make the secure.htaccess file readable/writable.

You can check if you have a DSO Server by going to the BPS System Info page and checking these things below.  The Server API will either say CGI or DSO.

Server Type:
    Operating System:
    WP Filesystem API Method:
    Server API:

If your Server API is DSO then click the link below.

DSO Server Setup Steps
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/dso-setup-steps/

Joe Man
    Participant

Wow thanks for your fast response – that’s amazing!

I’ve checked the settings and are as follows:

Server Type: Apache/2.2.22 (CentOS)
    Operating System: Linux
    WP Filesystem API Method: ftpext
    Server API: apache2handler – Your Host Server is using DSO

So yeah it does seem to be a DSO server. I don’t have the slightest idea what that means, but I’ll go ahead and read up on the dso setup link you sugegsted.

Thanks mate!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The ideal solution is to get your WP Filesystem API Method to be “direct” instead of “ftpext”.  The DSO setup step link has instructions on how to do that.

Joe Man
    Participant

Ok, I just looked at the steps and it seems very involved. And I’m not that familiar with the linux commands.

Can I just confirm if I need to implement:
    Optimum Choice – Change Ownership so that the PHP Script Owner and the PHP File Owner are the same
    or:
    Manual DSO Server Setup steps by using file permissions change method instead of using the optimum CHOWN method above:
    Or Both?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You would choose either the Change Ownership or file permissions method.  Obviously the best choice would be to Change Ownership so that the PHP Script Owner and the PHP File Owner are the same instead of changing file permissions.

Joe Man
    Participant

ok, so I’ll try and implement the optimum choice methodfirst. If I can’t I’ll try the second method, which looks a bit easier to implement. Thanks for your support. I’ll be upgrading to Pro soon. Keep up the good work!

Joe Man
    Participant

Can I just check one more thing. Is the CHOWN method using SSH?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yes, most likely you would have to CHOWN using SSH.  Typically an FTP user account on a DSO Server will not have enough permissions to do a CHOWN.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.