Media Manager Uploads – Failed to write file to disk error

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Media Manager Uploads – Failed to write file to disk error

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

I installed BPS pro a few days ago.

Suddenly, this morning, I can’t upload images. I could last night. Not today.

I didn’t make any changes in BPS between being able to and not being able to upload – so I suspect this doesn’t have anything to do with BPS.

However, I just wanted to double check and see if there was any kind of automated thing that might have kicked in to block me from uploading?

When I try to upload through the wp media manager, I get: “Failed to write file to disk.”

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

BPS Pro does not block the Media Manager/Uploading.  Typically that WordPress error message means that permissions on the /uploads folder are set too restrictive.  Most likely this is just another issue with your particular Server Configuration.  I think you said you have some sort of FCGID configuration?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

WordPress works best with a CGI suPHP configuration, but of course you can do other things to make WordPress happy.  I am not exactly sure about how and when you would implement something like this, but this may be the what you need to do or something similar anyway.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Override_of_default_file_permissions

Yes, mine is the fcgid. The uploads directory is 777 and I haven’t changed that (but did double check it).

I didn’t think it would be  BPS, but just thought I would check in to make sure. I’ll follow up on that link too.

Thank you,

Chris

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Also what type of file were you trying to upload.  The WordPress standard allowed file type/file extension list allows most of the common media file extensions/file types, but will block other file types/extensions.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Uploading_Files

So if this is the issue/problem you can add additional mime types if you need to allow/be able to upload them.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

And then the other possibility would be if the file size is larger than the maximum file size upload limit you are using.  You can increase that file size limit in your php.ini file.

Small .png and .jpg files that I am testing.

I’ve read suggestions to clean out the /tmp folder, which I’ve done. I can ftp in and upload images into /uploads ok. But I have writers that won’t be able to do it that way.

hmmm, perplexing, but I appreciate your ideas and helpfulness 🙂

Chris

Even rebooted the server just to see if that would help – it didn’t…

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

hmm here is another cause – The server’s tmp folder is full.  You can add this directive in your php.ini file – upload_tmp_dir=”/tmp” and that should take care of that particular issue.

I’ve also read that some people have experienced this problem and it just started working again after a while for no apparent reason.

Cleared my browser cache, just in case, no difference.  I certainly had other plans for today than dealing with this! 🙂

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Does the browser uploader work?  Maybe it just has to do with the Flash uploader?

“You are using the multi-file uploader. Problems? Try the browser uploader instead.”

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

And if none of these things work then it is going to be an Ownership problem.

Not sure what the correct Ownership user:group would be.  or maybe apache:apache.  nobody:nobody definitely would not work.

Probably user-account-name:user-account-name would work?

Also make sure that safe_mode is turned Off.  If it is not then this could be the cause of the problem.

Nope, same thing with the browser uploader….

oh, and did try the /tmp change in php.ini. Mine was set to /home/mysite/tmp (which I also cleaned out) but tried the change anyone and got the same results.

…..checking out the ownership tip

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Have you tried changing /home/mysite/tmp to just /tmp?  Since you have your own Server I don’t think this would make any difference, but if the Server is not seeing this as a valid temporary directory then maybe?  Or maybe that is what you already tried and it did not work?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Oh wait a minute.  Your uploads folder is set to 777 that is the problem.  set it back to 755.  When you are setting up the Uploads Anti-Exploit Guard .htaccess file want to set the folder to 777 temporarily and then change it back to 755.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.