wp-config.php file autorestored after website transfer

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro wp-config.php file autorestored after website transfer

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jeff
    Participant

I moved my website from THM Hosting to InMotion Hosting and all was well, using a modified hosts file to access the new hosting IP address.  However, once I went back to THM Hosting and pointed my domain to InMotion, my website became inaccessible due to the error message “Error establishing a database connection.” At first, I thought that was because of the DNS propagation time but it turned out to be some kind of configuration error that InMotion corrected to get the website to load.  I presume they “tweaked” wp-config.php.  But, according to them, BPS Pro kept restoring the old wp-config.php file, thus preventing me from accessing the site.  They disabled BPS Pro and now I see this message when logging into the WP admin panel: “The plugin bulletproof-security/bulletproof-security.php has been deactivated due to an error: Plugin file does not exist.”

I’m hesitant to reactivate BPS Pro until I am advised what to do.  I don’t want to lose access to the site again.  If I activate BPS Pro and I do, then I’m stuck, unless (and I didn’t try this while I was getting the error) I can log into the site using cPanel and then bringing up File Manager.

Any suggestions?  I don’t quite understand why this only became an issue after I pointed my domain to InMotion.

Jeff

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Do these steps below to deactivate AutoRestore and manually restore your wp-config.php file.

1. Use FTP or your web host control panel file manager and copy/download your wp-config.php file.
    2. Going by the error message I assume your web host folks either deleted or renamed the /bulletproof-security/bulletproof-security.php file instead of renaming the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder, which is the standard WP method of deactivating a WP plugin. So instead of trying to figure out what they did just delete the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder.
    3. Reinstall the BPS Pro plugin using the WordPress Plugins Upload Zip installer. Note: You will need a BPS Pro zip file to install and can get the zip file here > https://www.ait-pro.com/wp-admin/.
    4. Use FTP or your web host control panel file manager and rename the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder to:  /_bulletproof-security/.  Visit your website home page.  This will automatically turn off AutoRestore.  Note: Your website may go down after reinstalling the BPS Pro plugin or when visiting your website home page so upload the backup wp-config.php file that you copied/downloaded in step #1 to bring your website back up.
    5. Login to your website and go to the BPS Pro Setup Wizard page and run the Pre-Installation Wizard and Setup Wizard.

For future reference here are some recommended steps to prep BPS Pro before doing a website move/transfer/migration > https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/migrating-moving-or-cloning-websites/#post-20407

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.