Migrating, Moving or Cloning Websites

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Migrating, Moving or Cloning Websites

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

UPDATE 1-10-2015 – See these steps for simpler methods for cloning and migrations: http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/migrating-moving-or-cloning-websites/#post-20407

UPDATE:  As of BPS Pro 6.0 a new Setup Wizard has been created that sets up BPS Pro completely in less than 1 minute.  It is recommended that you use the BPS Pro Setup Wizard on new websites to setup BPS Pro instead of including BPS Pro in your Cloned site or backed up site.  It is actually much quicker to use the BPS Pro Setup Wizard on the new site to install BPS Pro then to do all of these steps below.  

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Once you have the Plugin Firewall working perfectly on the main site and have all the Plugin Firewall plugin script rules/whitelist rules for that site that you are going to use as your Clone Master then copy those plugin script rules/whitelist rules from the Plugin Firewall Whitelist Text area and save them to a Notepad or Notepad++ text file on your computer.  After running the Wizards on a new cloned site, go to the Plugin Firewall and copy and paste your plugin script rules/whitelist rules into the Plugin Firewall Whitelist Text area for each new cloned site, click the Save Whitelist Options button and activate the Plugin Firewall again.  By doing these steps you are ensuring that you have ALL of the plugin script rules/whitelist rules for the Plugin Firewall on each new cloned site.

When cloning Blogs with WP Twin or any other cloning plugin you should follow these procedural steps below.

Migrating, Moving or Cloning websites best procedural steps:

1. Turn off ARQ
    2. Click all 4 Delete Files buttons in AutoRestore.
    3. Use the BPS Backup feature on the B-Core Backup & Restore tab page and backup your .htaccess files.
    4. Deactivate Root BulletProof Mode on the B-Core Security Modes page.
    5. Unlock all your files in F-Lock.
    6. Perform your Clone, Website Backup or Migration.
    7. On the new Cloned, Migrated or Moved site run the Pre-Installation Wizard and Setup Wizard or…
    8. Go to AutoRestore and click the 4 Backup Files buttons and turn ARQ back on.
    9. Go to the BPS Security Modes page and either use the Restore htaccess files feature or activate BulletProof Modes.
    10. Go to F-Lock and lock all your files.

Note:  The /bps-backup/master-backups folder should be included in your Clone or Backup.  When you perform step 6 the /bps-backup/master-backups folder should automatically be included in your clone or backup.  If it is not already included or you have intentionally not included the /bps-backup folder then change this and include the /bps-backup folder in your Backup or Clone.

Note:  If you have created a custom php.ini file and are migrating, moving or cloning a site to a new Server then you will need to create a new php.ini file on your new Server.

Note:  If you are cloning a site to a new domain name you will need to request a new Activation Key on the BPS Pro Activation page.  Activation Keys are unique for each domain name.  Each domain name must have its own unique BPS Pro Activation Key.

Example of when a new Activation Key would need to be requested:  Cloning example1.com to example2.com.

Or if you are going to move your site to another directory/folder without performing a clone then do these steps:

Before the site move

1. Turn off AutoRestore.
    2. Click all 4 Delete Files buttons in AutoRestore.
    3. Unlock all your files in F-Lock.
    4. Delete your Root .htaccess file with FTP.

After the site move

5. Go to the BPS Security Modes page and click the Root Folder BulletProof Mode Activate button.
    6. Go to AutoRestore and click the 4 Backup Files buttons and turn ARQ back on.
    7. Go to F-Lock and lock all your files.

Remco
    Participant

Thank you for this nice step by step explanation. I have multiple websites which I have to maintain regularly. I prefer to run automtic backups with for instance backWPup plugin.

It looks to me that this is not possible anymore because of the steps 1-5.  Am I correct? Is it better, or only possible, to perform backups manually when I have BPS pro installed?

thnx

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

This topic is actually not about backups.  The only thing that would be a factor regarding backups would be AutoRestore/Quarantine quarantining the zip backup files/archives.  See this Forum link below for the optimum solution for where to store backups.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/xmarkpro-automatic-backups/#post-4353

Andre
    Participant

— Deactivate Root Folder BulletProof Mode —

Does this only mean to activate the first button Security Modes tab or also to delete wp-admin and plugins folder htaccess?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

It can mean either.  For good measure/testing you would want to do both. Deactivate Root Folder BulletProof Mode and also Deactivate wp-admin Folder BulletProof Mode.

If you are doing a clone or migration see the UPDATE that has been added to the top of the first Forum post. You can now use the Setup Wizard to setup BPS Pro in less than 1 minute on a site so it is probably simpler just to do that instead of all of the steps above.

Delete account
    Participant

[Topic has been merged into this relevant Topic]

What is the best way to move webhosts and not have bps security pro destroy the new installation?

I switched off ARQ before moving it. Then I moved all the files over. Did the backup etc like I do when updating plugins. I then turned ARQ back on. I was expecting it to be fine as I had done the backup first so I’d assumed it would check against the NEW files not the older config . It then proceeded to move all of wp-admin and the wp-config file and write over it with the old information from the old server.

Is it better to delete the entire old plug in and start with the free, upgrade to the pro and do it all from scratch rather than trying to migrate it like you would with other plugins?

Andre
    Participant

Hi,

I want to move an existing site to a subfolder /en to make the english version of the site. I will set it up completely new and dont use a backup. Will it be no problem for the activation for a domain.com/en? Any other known problems in terms of using BPS this way?

Thx upfront.
    Cheers
    Andre

Lys
    Participant

Site Migration – Checking if successful DB export needs any special BPS Pro plugin action beforehand.

Thanks for your response.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Lys – The only thing that would be a factor in a clone, move or migration would be AutoRestore.  You want to make sure AutoRestore is turned off and then before turning AutoRestore back on you would either run the Wizards again or click the Backup Files buttons on the AutoRestore page.

Lys
    Participant

Thanks big. 🙂

Paul
    Participant

I am moving three sites to new server, but reading above do i have to deactivate bps, just the hosting company may take some time to migrate it leaving site unprotected.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Just turn AutoRestore off.  After the migration is completed run the Pre-installation and Setup Wizard again on the migrated sites.

Paul
    Participant

Cool had ARQ turned off.

growitsolutions
    Participant

Hi, I have recently bought BPS and would like to ask a question if I may. Prior to installing the plugin I successfully cloned sites using xcloner. I can still clone sites, however when I try to login to the cloned sites, I get redirected to the original site and the wp-config.php is changed back to that of the original site. Prior to cloning should I deactivate or do something with BPS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ growitsolutions – there are several different methods you can use to prep BPS Pro for cloning and migrations.  The 2 features in BPS Pro that need to be prepped are:  AutoRestore and the Plugin Firewall since they are specific and unique to each site.  You can use any of the methods above in this forum topic or lately I have been using this method below and find it very simple to use/do.

Edited: 10-13-2020

Important Note: BPS Pro Activation Keys are unique for each website.  If you change your domain URL in any way then request a new BPS Pro Activation Key. Domain URL changes would be changing your domain name, moving your website to a new folder/URL, changing HTTP to HTTPS, changing your Domain prefix from www to non-www or vice versa.

On the old site:
    1. Turn Off AutoRestore
    2. Create your website Backup/Clone.
    3. After you have completed your backup/clone turn AutoRestore back On on the old site.

On the new site:
    1. Go to the Setup Wizard and run the Pre-Installation Wizard and Setup Wizard.

Note: As of BPS Pro 14.9 there is a new feature called: Setup Wizard Export|Import that exports and imports all BPS Pro plugin option settings from one site to another site.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.