WordPress 4.7 – files quarantined on upgrade – AutoRestore Automation

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro WordPress 4.7 – files quarantined on upgrade – AutoRestore Automation

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    robf
    Participant

I upgraded 17 sites to wp4.7 around 2am UK time and all of them had the autorestore problem. Now partially back up after checking in this forum and carrying out your steps to get sites back up.

Not sure if 2am in the UK = release time of wp 4.7 (and consequent overload)?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ robf – 2AM UK time would be 6:30PM time in my timezone PST.  That is about 6 hours after the start of this forum Topic.  How did you upgrade your sites?  Did you do the standard WP upgrade steps > Dashboard menu > Updates menu > Update Now button?  There may be a bigger issue going on here such as the ARQ Automation code that has been working for years now, needs some additional coding work to delay ARQ Automation in case the WP upgrade takes longer than expected.  This is uncharted waters.  So we are looking at everything at this point.

Glasairmell
    Participant

Just stopped in to see what was up.  Figured out the problem on my first few sites and on the rest, turned off auto restore and deleted all the  back up files.  Then did up grade, backed up all files and turned auto restore back on.  All sites are fine thank you.

The auto restore had a problem in wp-includes IXR and rest-api.  To fix the site all I had to do was manually copy those files from quarantine back to their locations. For the problem sites that went down before I got wise, I just renamed the autorestore directory until I copied back the files and got back up.

The time frame for this problem for me was around 5:30 PM PST US.

I am confident all will be sorted out here.  This is a great example on why one should never auto upgrade WP or use sites like iThemes Sync to do so when running BPSpro.  There is just too much going on to not keep an eye on it IMHO.  Plugins are a different matter.

I would never run a site without using BPSpro as it has protected all of my clients perfectly for years.

robf
    Participant

@AITproAdmin Thanks for reply, hope the following is useful in helping track the issue(s) down.

Confirming that in all cases upgrades were done manually and I used standard upgrade procedure as you have described in post 31668.

Running PHP5.6 on most sites (PHP7 on two), also running Comet Cache Pro on all sites but this hasn’t been an issue in the past.

My web host has been having performance issues lately which might be a factor. 2 sites whitescreened during upgrade process, but the other 15 upgraded OK and then whitescreened subsequently

simon
    Participant

[Topic has been merged into this relevant Topic]
    I have this problem on 4 different Websites where i have BPS Pro installed for long time and never had this problem before.
    I did not change any settings.
    The problem is that i get a white dashboard or even a white frontpage.
    BPS puts important files into quarantine whan i update WP.
    On one page i had BPS 12.4 installed – then did the WP Udate and all was fine. Then i updates BPS to 12.4.1 and it put many files to the quarantine folder. THe page is running anyway but very strange.
    On other pages i had to delete BPS completely, then do the wp Update and then reinstall BPS to make it work.
    If i only deactivated BPS then do the Update and reactivate BPS it crashed the page again.
    How can i fix this problem? Thanks Simon

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Simon – Please see the beginning of this forum Topic for steps to fix any sites where WP 4.7 files were quarantined by AutoRestore Automation, safe steps to upgrade to WP 4.7 and a status update of our research on why this problem is occurring with AutoRestore Automation.

simon
    Participant

I had this problem also with WP 4.6 update and now with 4.7

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Simon – We will be adding a new FailSafe to AutoRestore Automation in BPS Pro 12.5.  We did some brainstorming and I don’t how or why we did not think of this new AutoRestore Automation FailSafe before, but it will guarantee 100% that this type of WP Core file quarantine problem cannot happen in the future.  The primary reason for AutoRestore Automation to fail during a WordPress upgrade is a response/time problem.  ie currently if there is even a 10 second delay in the WP API server response or if there is a host server hiccup or something else that causes the WP upgrade to take longer than it should normally then ARQ Automation will probably fail and quarantine WP Core files.  The FailSafe will not allow AutoRestore to be turned back On if ALL WP Core files were not backed up successfully during a WordPress upgrade and will instead display a message like this (this is an example message – the final message may be different):  “AutoRestore Automation failed to backup all WP Core files during the WordPress Upgrade.  AutoRestore is currently turned Off to prevent new WP Core files from being quarantined. Click this link: [link] to go to the Setup Wizard page.  Run the Pre-installation Wizard and Setup Wizard to complete the WordPress Core file backup and to turn AutoRestore back On.”

simon
    Participant

That sounds very good! Thumbs up!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Simon – The new FailSafe concept is incredibly simple.  We are already adding the new FailSafe code to AutoRestore Automation code in BPS Pro 12.5 after only 1 day of testing that showed this simple new concept works perfectly in any/all potential problem scenarios even beyond API response/time issues/problems.  Over the years BPS Pro AutoRestore Automation has become increasingly more complex due to the direction WP is heading in with Automatic Updates and Shiny Updates, which is more complex on the backend side of things and of course less complex for end users on the frontend side of things.  Anyway we took a step back and looked at everything from a very simple basic perspective (instead of a Rocket Science perspective) and came up with a solution that is almost laughably simple.  Funny how that happens. 😉

hindssites
    Participant

In my attempt to get my website backup and running, everything started working again until I was instructed in Step 15 to “Rename the /_bulletproof-security/ plugin folder back to /bulletproof-security/”. Would be able to tell me what went wrong?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ hindssites – If files were quarantined again then you missed step #12: 12. Choose the Turn Off|Deactivate AutoRestore|Quarantine (ARQ) XTF Form option to turn Off AutoRestore.  Did you click the “Submit Xternal Tools Form” button after choosing the Turn Off|Deactivate AutoRestore|Quarantine (ARQ) XTF Form option?  Also there is a quicker way to restore all files that were quarantined by using the XTF Form “Restore All Files in Quarantine” option.

hindssites
    Participant

Thanks for the very clear and detailed instructions.  I completed every step accept “17. Go to the BPS Pro Setup Wizard and run the Pre-Installation Wizard and Setup Wizard.” It appears that every thing is back up and running. Do I need to run the setup wizard again? And if I do, where do I do that? I did not see anyway to do that in the BPS plugin section.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ hindssites – If AutoRestore Automation worked normally (file backup completed successfully, AutoRestore was turned back On successfully) in step #16 then you do not need to re-run the Wizards again.  For future reference the Setup Wizard is under the BPS Pro > Setup main menu > Setup Wizard submenu.

AbZu2
    Participant

Prior to receiving a reply from AIT concerning this WP update scenario, I had restored my site first to 4.6 and when that failed back to 4.5. Even renamed my plugin folder for good measure. Ziltch, nada. Will try to go through the recommended steps at the beginning of this thread that I just found out about.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.