WP 5.6 crashed my site, solved by diasbling BPS

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro WP 5.6 crashed my site, solved by diasbling BPS

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    AbZu2
    Participant

A recent update to WP 5.6 crashed my site. Reverting to v5.5.3 did not resolve the problem HOWEVER disabling BPS, restored my site. With BPS disabled, updating to WP 5.6 caused no problems.  Attempting to Activate BPS I now get:

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

Warning: require_once(/home3/abzutwoc/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home3/abzutwoc/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security123/bulletproof-security.php on line 118

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/home3/abzutwoc/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/class.php' (include_path='.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php74/root/usr/share/pear') in /home3/abzutwoc/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security123/bulletproof-security.php on line 118

Contacted BlueHost (my host provider) and they came up with the following unacceptable suggestion:
    Looks like there is an issue with the plugin, could you please find an alternative for this plugin?
    Have been using BPS for many years and consider it to offer a really great level of protection. I am sure there is no need to look for an alternative. Please advise how to solve this issue.
    I would like to update my PHP version as well, so would appreciate including the necessary steps to take for that scenario as well in the BPS restoration process.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Web host support techs are not qualified to fix WordPress problems since they do not have any training or experience with fixing WordPress sites.  They especially are not qualified to fix WordPress Plugin or Theme problems.  So you want to avoid contacting your web host support for anything related to WordPress.  You should instead either post in this forum or on the wordpress.org forum for help with anything related to WordPress.

Do the steps in this forum topic to fix the problem > https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/website-not-loading-after-wordpress-upgrade-or-theme-upgrade-500-error-files-quarantined/

Now for some good news – this type of problem will no longer occur in BPS Pro 15.2. I have rebuilt AutoRestore Automation in a way that WP Core upgrades will never result in files being quarantined by BPS Pro AutoRestore|Quarantine no matter what current or pre-existing problems exist on a web host server or website.

AutoRestore Automation: AutoRestore now works seamlessly for Remote WP Core updates and web host forced WP Core updates. Dev Note: The AutoRestore WP Automatic Update function has been rebuilt/redesigned to include Remote and forced WP Core updates and uses an alternative method than the previous method of using the WP Upgrader pre_install and post_install filters to ensure AutoRestore Automation completes successfully. This rebuild also resolves files being quarantined due to issues with server/website latency/slowness. Plugin and Theme updates (Automatic, Shiny, Bulk) still use the WP Upgrader pre_install and post_install filters. Additional Note: The WP Upgrader pre_install and post_install filters are still checked during AutoRestore Automation for WP Automatic Updates, but the WP Upgrader filters are not the primary conditional factor in determining the final AutoRestore Automation actions/processing.

BugFix: AutoRestore Automation: New AutoRestore backup folders were not being successfully created during AutoRestore Automation backups for WP Core Automatic Updates that included new WP Core folders, which caused the new WP Core files in those new folders to be quarantined. Dev Note: Additional FailSafes added in the Master ARQ Fire function.

Regarding upgrading your PHP server version you should not have to do anything with BPS Pro and should just be able to change your PHP server version in your web host control panel.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Just noticed that you “reverted” to an older version of WordPress.  So you should do these steps instead.

1. Login to your website, go to the WordPress Plugins page and click the Must-Use link at the top of the Plugins page. If AutoRestore is turned Off you will see – “AutoRestore is turned Off” in green font under the BPS Pro MU Tools must-use plugin. If AutoRestore is not turned Off then click the “Turn Off AutoRestore” link.
    2. Use FTP or your web host control panel file manager and rename the /bulletproof-security123/ plugin folder to /bulletproof-security/.
    3. Activate the BPS Pro plugin.
    4. Run the BPS Pro Pre-Installation Wizard and Setup Wizard.
    5. Upgrade WordPress on the Dashboard > Updates page.

AbZu2
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply.

Somewhat confused regarding the bulletproof-security123 folder.
    I have two bulletproof security folders.

/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security
    /public_html/wp-content/plugins1/bulletproof-security

When I search for bulletproof-security123 in the file manager the result is:
    /public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security123

Fail to see the bulletproof-security123  folder anywhere in /public_html/wp-content/plugins/

Is this file hidden?

FYI, WP 5.6 is installed.
    Really happy to hear that PHP can be updated without any BPS considerations.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The php error you posted above shows that the BPS Pro plugin folder has been renamed to:  /home3/abzutwoc/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security123/.

/plugins1/ is not a valid WordPress Plugins folder.  Delete that folder.

You must be looking in the wrong place since the /bulletproof-security123/ folder does exist. Double check that you are looking in the right place.

AbZu2
    Participant

OK. Followed your instructions exactly.  Attempting to activate BPS I get:

Warning: require_once(/home3/abzutwoc/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in <b>/home3/abzutwoc/public_html/wp-content/plugins/_bulletproof-security/bulletproof-security.php on line 118

Fatal error</b>: require_once(): Failed opening required '/home3/abzutwoc/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/class.php' (include_path='.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php74/root/usr/share/pear') in <b>/home3/abzutwoc/public_html/wp-content/plugins/_bulletproof-security/bulletproof-security.php on line 118
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I did a copy and paste from another forum topic. Corrected step #2 above (see below).  Rename the /_bulletproof-security/ plugin folder to /bulletproof-security/.

2. Use FTP or your web host control panel file manager and rename the /bulletproof-security123/ plugin folder to /bulletproof-security/.

AbZu2
    Participant

Yep. deleting the underdash did the trick. BPS has been succesfully activated. Thanks. Now my understanding is that with my current version of BPS 15.1, I can update my PHP without any BPS considerations. Correct¿?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yes, most likely you will not have to do anything in BPS when you switch your PHP server version.  Newer versions of PHP do not use php handler htaccess code.  If you run into a problem after switching your PHP server version then let me know that and I’ll tell you what needs to be done to fix that.

Note: if you already have php handler htaccess code saved in BPS Custom Code then delete it before switching your PHP server version.

AbZu2
    Participant

Updated PHP to 7.4.14 before receiving the information concerning deleting custom PHP code. So my version reverted to 7.0.33 after the update.

Do I modify the PHP code or simply delete it as requested before updating PHP again.

Current custom code is as follows:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [L,R=301]

<IfModule mime_module>
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-ea-php70 .php .php7 .phtml
    </IfModule>

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You probably only need to delete your old php handler htaccess code.  Newer versions of PHP typically no longer use php handler htaccess code.

AbZu2
    Participant

Thanks for all the NFO. Resolved.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.