wp-admin CSS broken, not displaying correctly

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro wp-admin CSS broken, not displaying correctly

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, I already eliminated that anything in BPS Pro is causing this problem.  And I saw that you tried to rename the /plugins/ folder  while I was logged into the site so it does not look like a plugin problem.  A php.ini file would probably cause a frontend and backend problem so since your frontend of your site is ok then that is very unlikely that your php.ini file is the problem, but of course you can temporarily rename it and see for yourself.  The only CSS that I know of that you would edit would be your Theme CSS stylesheet.  You should probably try to update your theme and probably also try switching to another Theme like WordPress 2016 to see if the problem is being caused by your Theme.  I merged your Topic assuming that the problem was with the Plugin Firewall and the problem is not being caused by anything in BPS Pro and is being caused by something else.  The only other thing I can think of is you have some code in your wp-config.php file that is causing this problem, but that is a very unlikely possibility too because the frontend of your website would also be affected and it is fine.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I did a random Google Search for “wp-admin CSS not working” and found these results, which may be helpful:
    http://manovotny.com/fix-wordpress-admin-styles-not-loading/
    http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/46545/how-to-fix-admin-stylesheet-muck-up

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Here’s another link:  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18769141/wordpress-admin-not-loading-css-js  It looks like the fix that is suggested in this link is also suggested in one of the other links I posted.  Worth a shot.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Another possibility that I thought of is that your wp-admin folder or file Permissions are too strict/restrictive or the Owner of the wp-admin folder is not the same Owner as your other WordPress folders.  You can use an FTP application like WinSCP or FileZilla to check those things.

DKK
    Participant

@AITpro Admin: Not only would I like to extend my multiple rounds of gratitude & thanks, but would also like to say…

FORUM, WE HAVE A SOLUTION! (…as though the ‘Houston, we have a problem’ hasn’t been re-written enough, lol.)

I cannot thank you enough for your persistence in trying to get this issue fixed even after knowing it wasn’t specifically a BulletProof Plugin-based Causation/conflict; going above & beyond, making leaps & bounds, and [insert cliche saying by Village-Idiot here {lol}]! But with all seriousness, thank you for aiding me in solving this chaos which had been grinding many aspects of business to a halt over the past 5 weeks.

Okay, okay… I’ll quit my ecstatic rambling and just say what finally solved this issue for me (thanks to the links you found).

I merely added the single line of…

define('CONCATENATE_SCRIPTS', false);

…to the site’s WP-CONFIG.PHP file (specifically beneath the BPS @ini_set() rules, and before the require_once() function at the bottom of the file). Then after a file-saving, a cache-clearing, an apache-rebuilding, and a server-restarting (the latter two being some tweaking of other things in having faith that it was going to be the ‘dozenth time is a charm’ resolution I’ve been having anxious-palpitations for {per-se}), wah-lah!, the backend looks just as it did/should; PROBLEM FIXED!

(Why this sudden fall from its organized-grace to a styling-scramble, and what sparked its virtually spontaneous switch into caring about ‘Concatenate Scripts’, I’ll probably never know {sadly}… But now there is a potential fix here to be found if another site happens to encounter this Admin-end Anarchy.)

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Awesome and Cool!!!  Glad you got this figured out.  Glad we could help in any way to point you in the right direction for a solution.  It’s things like this that remind you how awesome the Internet is.  ie if you ask/search for the right question there is a very good chance you will find the answer.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

This is what the define('CONCATENATE_SCRIPTS', false); does: https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Disable_Javascript_Concatenation

Disable Javascript Concatenation
    To result in a faster administration area, all Javascript files are concatenated into one URL. If Javascript is failing to work in your administration area, you can try disabling this feature:

It also gives you a clue to what the root cause of the problem is, which is that on some servers due to whatever reasons there is some sort of javascript issue/problem that occurs in the wp-admin area.  When I looked around the Internet I did not come across any links where someone had figured out exactly what the root cause of the issue/problem is, but since using the concatenation constant works then I guess that is really all that is critically important to fix whatever the root cause of the problem is.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.