wp-content files in autorestore not backing up

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro wp-content files in autorestore not backing up

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You still have not answered my question.  Please answer this question:  Did you see theme files in your backup files or not?

John H

Ok this is what is happening and I hope it answers your question.

When I have both  plugins and themes in the exclude dynamic folders – only 3 files backed up.

When I have just themes in the exclude dynamic folders – the plugin files are backed up.

When I have just plugins in the exclude dynamic folders – the theme files are backed up.

I hope this is helpful. Thanks.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep perfect.

The reason no files are showing in backup is because if you exclude both the themes and plugins folder then these files are not backed up.  This means that they will not be backed up because they are excluded from being backed up and also being checked by AutoRestore.  The only file you should see in backup if you exclude both the themes and plugins folder is just the index.php or sometimes a couple of other files such as caching plugin files or other random plugin or theme files stored in the wp-content root folder.

What is recommended is that you ONLY exclude the plugins folder and DO NOT exclude the themes folder.

John H

Thank you so much. I did not realise it is recommended to not exclude ‘themes’. I have donbe this on other sites so I will go back and change them – although I checked and the theme files are nonetheless backed up in these.

Just checking now – Ok so when I perform a theme update in future I should turn off the ARQ cron, do the theme update, backup and then turn the ARQ cron back on?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, do the standard ARQ procedures when doing a theme upgrade/update.  Theme upgrades are pretty rare so this is much less of a pain in the neck like plugin updates are.  One of the primary reasons and benefits of the Plugin Firewall was to make things more convenient in regards to AutoRestore and plugin updates and of course to completely lock down the plugins folder since plugin files are targeted by hackers.  😉  Theme files are not really targeted that much, but some themes have built-in image uploading capability so that is where the Uploads Anti-Exploit Guard comes into play for theme security protection.

John H

Thanks again for your superb support.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.