Installing W3 Total Cache with BulletProof Security Pro

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Installing W3 Total Cache with BulletProof Security Pro

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of simon simon 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • #412 Facebook Google Twitter Email Stumbleupon Digg reddit pinterest Myspace Delicious LinkedIn tumblr
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Email Question:

I am thinking of installing a cache plug-in like W3 Total Cache. But I already have BulletProof Security Pro installed and activated. Is it as easy as deactivating and installing W3? Then reactivating BPS? W3 Total has so many options and I know it modifies the .htaccess files as well. I just want to make sure I do it right.  If you have any instructions or tips that would be great. Or if you think I should use a different plug-in because of better compatibility let me know.

Thanks.Mike

Answer:

Yes, W3 Total Cache writes .htaccess code to your root .htaccess file and also writes a line of code to your wp-config.php file.  Since these files are locked with F-Lock you will need to unlock them first to allow W3 Total Cache to write its code to these files.  Follow these procedural steps below to install W3 Total Cache on a website with BulletProof Security Pro already installed.

1. Go to F-Lock and unlock both your Root .htaccess file and your wp-config.php file.
    2. Turn off AutoRestore.
    3. Install W3 Total Cache or if W3TC is already installed then deactivate W3TC and activate it again.
    4. Copy W3TC .htaccess code to BPS Pro Custom Code
    5. Turn AutoRestore back on.
    6. Go to F-Lock and lock both your Root .htaccess file and your wp-config.php file.

There a few W3TC files that are dynamically updated so they need to have AutoRestore Exclude rules for those files.  These are example paths to these files.  You would of course use your actual website’s path to these files.
    /home/xxxxx/public_html/xxxxx/wp-content/object-cache.php
    /home/xxxxx/public_html/xxxxx/wp-content/advanced-cache.php
    /home/xxxxx/public_html/xxxxx/wp-content/db.php

7. Use the AutoRestore single file exclude tool and create exclude rules for these 3 W3TC files. This is fairly straightforward, but if you need a visual reference then this video tutorial link below shows the steps to create individual file exclude rules
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/installing-w3-total-cache-with-bulletproof-security-pro/

#592 Facebook Google Twitter Email Stumbleupon Digg reddit pinterest Myspace Delicious LinkedIn tumblr
    John

Firstly, may I just say what an incredibly thorough and impressive piece of work this Pro plugin is… mind blowing!
    Having just purchased the plugin yesterday I have installed it without any glitches at all. I have just followed your W3 TC instructions in this post and all worked perfectly. My question is that I wasn’t sure whether I needed to re-lock the Root .htaccess file and the wp-config.php file after the above process was completed, as it doesn’t instruct to do so? Maybe they need to remain un-locked for the W3 TC to work but I thought I ought to check.
    Many thanks for this really impressive piece of work.
    John

#593 Facebook Google Twitter Email Stumbleupon Digg reddit pinterest Myspace Delicious LinkedIn tumblr
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

oops I left that step out.  Thank you for letting me know about this.  I will add it right now.  

These steps are only necessary for this exact scenario where you are installing W3TC for the first time on a website with BPS Pro already installed.  If you make any future caching setting changes in W3TC then W3TC will need to be able to write to your root .htaccess again and you can just use the unlock button on the BPS Edit/Upload/Download page to unlock your root .htaccess file.  Your root .htaccess file will be sent to Quarantine since the root .htaccess file is being modified outside of the BPS .htaccess editor so you will then just need to use the Restore File option in Quarantine to restore your root .htaccess when it is quarantined.  In normal daily website operation if you are not making any changes to W3TC then you will not have to do any additional steps or leave any files unlocked.

#597 Facebook Google Twitter Email Stumbleupon Digg reddit pinterest Myspace Delicious LinkedIn tumblr
    John

Perfect! Many thanks for your fast response.

#12199 Facebook Google Twitter Email Stumbleupon Digg reddit pinterest Myspace Delicious LinkedIn tumblr
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

To save your W3TC cache code permanently so that any time in the future that you click the AutoMagic master file buttons (create new master .htaccess files) and activate Root folder BulletProof Mode (copies the automagic master .htaccess file to your website root folder) do these steps below:

1.  Copy your W3TC cache code to this BPS Custom Code text box:  

IMPORTANT NOTE:  The order of custom code in this Custom Code text box is:  php/php.ini handler code (if your website uses a php/php.ini handler), W3TC caching code, BPS Speed Boost Cache code (if you choose to use this additional Bonus Code).

2.  Click the Save Root Custom Code button.

3.  Go to the Security Modes page, click the Create secure.htaccess File AutoMagic button and activate Root folder BulletProof Mode again.

#12428 Facebook Google Twitter Email Stumbleupon Digg reddit pinterest Myspace Delicious LinkedIn tumblr
    simon
    Participant

I got that problem too, after some update i got the message that the website is not protected and i should create a new master .htaccess.

I did that and then got the message :
    W3 Total Cache is activated, but W3TC htaccess code was NOT found in your root htaccess file.
    W3TC needs to be redeployed by clicking either the W3TC …

I tried strep by step how you describe here, but it is still there.

How is that possible?

Where do i find the “W3TC caching code” which i can copy in the BPS Custom Code text box?

Kind Regards

#12429 Facebook Google Twitter Email Stumbleupon Digg reddit pinterest Myspace Delicious LinkedIn tumblr
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Many things have changed with W3TC so maybe you are not actually using or have any W3TC .htaccess code.  To make the error check go away do these steps.

1.  Copy this text:  # W3TC Error Check to this BPS Custom Code text box:  

2.  Click the Save Root Custom Code button.

3.  Go to the Security Modes page, click the Create secure.htaccess File AutoMagic button and activate Root folder BulletProof Mode again.

4.  Refresh your Browser and the Error Check should go away.

#12434 Facebook Google Twitter Email Stumbleupon Digg reddit pinterest Myspace Delicious LinkedIn tumblr
    simon
    Participant

Perfect that worked!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.