AutoRestore Exclude paths should not contain wp-content in the exclude path

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro AutoRestore Exclude paths should not contain wp-content in the exclude path

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Hmm is something changing your root .htaccess file automatically at regular intervals?  Maybe a cron job from another plugin?  I will need to login to the site to see what might be causing that problem.

The mysql.sql file is obviously dynamic file and is being updated dynamically so yes you can create a autorestore exclude rule for that single file.  click the link below to go to the AutoRestore/Quarantine Guide and look at the Calibration help section – Also the Add / Exclude Static Files Blue Read Me help button in AutoRestore has instructions on how to exclude a single file and there is an AutoRestore Calibration video tutorial that shows how to do this as well.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/

http://forum.ait-pro.com/video-tutorials/

James Burden
    Participant

I’m also experiencing a similar problem on another one of my websites where the mysql.sql file is being quarantined every three minutes. I’ve asked WP Engine if they know anything about this file, but not yet had a response. I looked at the file in a text editor and it has numerous references to BPS Pro. Is it being generated by the BPS Pro plugin then?

James Burden
    Participant

Thanks for the link on excluding the mysql.sql file. I’ll follow that up.

I’m not aware that anything is changing my root .htaccess file automatically at regular intervals. Feel free to login – your details are still current.

I don’t know whether I should start another topic on this, but I’ve now got a third site struggling with BPS Pro. The issue on this one is that it is persistently implementing the ARQ Failsafe Procedural Shutdown. I’ve been through the process of backing up the relevant files and turning ARQ Cron back on, but as soon as I do that it implements the shutdown again.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

No, the mysql.sql file is not a BPS Pro file and we would never add a file directly under the /wp-content folder because that is terrible/poor site architecture / very bad site design / structure or just plain bad coding work by some other plugin.

The common denominator for all of these sites is going to be the cause of these problems on all of these sites, since these types of problems are not normal and are specific to your websites.  So once I isolate the cause of the problem then I can provide a solution for whatever is causing these problems on your websites.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Good site architecture / design follows this practice – you ALWAYS compartmentalize and contain scripts and files in their own folders so that you can have complete control over the folder for many reasons including security and those files do not interfere with any other files or scripts.  Dumping a file in the root /wp-content folder is very bad site architecture / design / practice.

Examples:

Backup plugins create a backup folder under wp-content and do not dump backup files under the root wp-content folder
    Caching plugins create a cache folder or use the existing cache folder and do not dump cache files under the root wp-content folder

James Burden
    Participant

Thanks – that’s helpful information. I’ll let you know of course as soon as I hear back from WPEngine as to whether they know about the mysql.sql file.

The three sites that I’m currently working on that fall within this family of problems seem to have the following in common.

• All running WP 3.7.1
    • All running SeedPro Coming Soon Pro 3.14.1
    • All running BPS Pro 7.9
    • All running Genesis framework 2.0.1 (different child themes on each site)
    • All hosted by WPEngine
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

BPS Pro 7.9 is working fine on 100,000’s of websites without any of these problems occurring.

BPS Pro works fine with Genesis framework without any of these problems occurring

So that leaves the most obvious thing to look at first – which plugin is dumping the mysql.sql plugin in the root of the wp-content folder since this is terrible / poor coding practice and site architecture design.  Typically when you find 1 bad coding practice you will usually find many more for whatever plugin is doing that.  I will know more once I start troubleshooting this.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

FYI – BPS Pro is detecting a problem that would have catastrophic results if the ARQ FailSafe was not kicking in to protect something bad from happening such as all your website files being quarantined due to whatever is not correct or is interfering with ARQ.  So this is a good thing that is preventing a bad thing from happening.  Once again finding the source of whatever is breaking BPS Pro to cause a FailSafe to kick in will provide the solution.

The issue on this one is that it is persistently implementing the ARQ Failsafe Procedural Shutdown. I’ve been through the process of backing up the relevant files and turning ARQ Cron back on, but as soon as I do that it implements the shutdown again.

James Burden
    Participant

Thanks again Edward – level of support here is incredible. I really appreciate your help.

I’m sending you admin logins for  each of the three sites if you need those for troubleshooting:

• familyimpact.org is the site that is having the problems with the quarantining of auto_.htaccess every three minutes (you already have admin access to wp-admin on this site)
    • zimbabwecarhire.com is the site that is having the problems with quarantining of mysql.sql every three minutes
    • homestyle-interiors.co.uk is the site that is having the problems with continual ARQ Failsafe Shutdown

With reference back to the initial problem (#11183 and #11201 above), I’m still getting quarantine notifications every three minutes on the auto_.htaccess file. I presume I shouldn’t exclude that as a specific file to prevent these notifications? Or do I treat that the same way as the mysql.sql file and add it as a file to exclude from ARQ?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I only need to login to 1 site if all of these sites are using the exact same things.  Please do not send any other logins at this time.  If at a later time I need to login to those other sites then I will ask for them on a case by case basis.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I will be logging into this site:  familyimpact.org within the next 30 minutes and will let you know when I am logging in.  Thanks.

James Burden
    Participant

BTW, just heard back from WP Engine about the mysql.sql file (I guess this primarily applies to the zimbabwecarhire.com site):
    Hey James,
    Thanks for reaching out to us. You are correct that the mysql.sql file isn’t supposed to be there by default. Did you by chance restore your site from a restore point previously? We have our backup points currently setup to have the database included in the /wp-content folder. If you have your site up and running, I’d recommend either deleting this file, or downloading it locally then deleting it since it’s no longer needed.
    I’m sure that I haven’t restored this site from a previous restore point. It was a clean install – hasn’t even gone live yet.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Wow I am very surprised that they would do that.  Oh well there must be a good reason for doing this.  That leaves only one option – exclude this file from being checked by ARQ, which it should be excluded any way since it is a dynamic file, but ideally this file should be in a folder under /wp-content and not dumped in the root of /wp-content.  As I stated before we will be adding additional code in the Setup Wizard to allow for issues of this kind.  For now things will have to be done manually in order to compensate for this issue until we can automate a solution to this type of issue.  I will be logging into familyimpact.org in about 5 minutes.  Thanks.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I have thoroughtly checked this site: familyimpact.org I do not see any more ongoing problems.  In BPS Pro 8.0 we will create additional code to compensate for root files located directly under the wp-content folder automatically.

The root .htaccess file was caught in a quarantine loop due to updating your permalinks.  What happens on the WordPress Permalinks page is a function called flush_rewrite_rules() runs and flushes the root .htaccess file of all code.

Solution:

Clicked the activate root folder bulletproof mode again.  The root .htaccess file is no longer caught in a loop that is constantly quarantining the root .htaccess file any longer.

For the WPEngine mysql.sql file located in the root of the wp-content folder you will need to create a single file exclude rule to exclude this dynamic file from being checked by AutoRestore.

AutoRestore >>> Add / Exclude Static Files

Exclude Folders & Files:

Select Folder or File Exclude Option:
    Choose exclude an individual file option
    Enter an Exclude Folder or File Path:

Note:  you would use the actual path to this file.  The x’s below have been added so that your Hosting account path is not displayed publicly.

/nas/wp/www/xxxxx/xxxxx/wp-content/mysql.sql

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I will go ahead and take care of the same issues with WPEngine that are occurring on your other sites.   For now some manual steps are required to compensate for the issue that is happening with WPEngine and the mysql.sql file, which is triggering the ARQ FailSafe shutdown and does require a single file exclude rule to be created for this file.

zimbabwecarhire.com is the site that is having the problems with quarantining of mysql.sql every three minutes
    homestyle-interiors.co.uk is the site that is having the problems with continual ARQ Failsafe Shutdown

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.