AutoRestore Exclude paths should not contain wp-content in the exclude path

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro AutoRestore Exclude paths should not contain wp-content in the exclude path

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    James Burden
    Participant

You don’t charge enough for your support.

Thank you so much for your help.

FYI, I’ve deleted the sql file from the zimbabwecarhire site and the homestyleinteriors site. WP Engine are confident that it doesn’t need to be there. I’ll set up the exclude rule though as I presume it will reappear if I ever restore from a backup.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

It only takes a few minutes to figure out solutions since BPS Pro already includes all the tools needed to “fix” things so we have factored that into the ridiculously cheap one-time cost of BPS Pro.  I’m hoping that we can continue to do things like this, but there may come a day when BPS Pro licensing changes.  Anyone who purchased BPS Pro prior to any licensing changes will be Grandfather claused.  😉

Hmm ok I get what is probably happening now with that sql file.  That sql file is some sort of temporary file so that would make it ok to dump it into the root of the wp-content folder, but a “cleanup” function should fire after whatever is done with that file so that the file is deleted automatically if it still exists.  But yes do create a single file exclude rule for that file.  On our end we will make sure the Setup Wizard no longer checks for sql files in the wp-content root folder.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I am currently logged into this site:  homestyle-interiors.co.uk and I am not exactly sure what is causing the ARQ FailSafe Shutdown.  Will let you know what is causing this when I figure that out.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The AutoRestore FailSafe Shutdown is occuring because BPS Pro cannot create the /wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups folder that will contain a file that is critical for AutoRestore to function correctly and that is a FailSafe file itself.  It is actually the file that prevents catastrophic failures and it has its own FailSafe for that FailSafe file.  😉  Please check the /bps-backup folder permissions and select apply folder/file permissions recursively.  Then go ahead and manually create this folder /wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups

WARNING! BPS was unable to automatically create the /wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups folder.
    You will need to create the /wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups folder manually via FTP. The folder permissions for the master-backups folder need to be set to 755 in order to successfully perform permanent online backups.
    To remove this message permanently click here.

wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups/ ../wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups 755 0

Setup Wizard error

Error: Unable to create or update File /nas/wp/www/xxxxx/xxxxx/wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups/.htaccess

James Burden
    Participant

Hi again – I’m really sorry but still seem to be having problems with the homestyle-interiors.co.uk site. I’ve created the master-backups folder manually which went fine. And I’ve tried to set the folder permissions to 755 (and recurse into subdirectories) and it just returned a whole load of errors:

Status:	Set permissions of '/wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups' to '755'
    Command:	chmod 755 "master-backups"
    Error:	set attrs for /wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups: permission denied
    Command:	cd "master-backups"
    Response:	New directory is: "/wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups"
    Command:	ls
    Status:	Listing directory /wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups
    Status:	Set permissions of '/wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups/class.php' to '755'
    Command:	chmod 755 "class.php"
    Error:	set attrs for /wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups/class.php: permission denied
    Status:	Set permissions of '/wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups/Login-Security-Alert-Reset.txt' to '755'
    Command:	chmod 755 "Login-Security-Alert-Reset.txt"
    Error:	set attrs for /wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups/Login-Security-Alert-Reset.txt: permission denied
    Status:	Set permissions of '/wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups/wpadmin.htaccess' to '755'
    Command:	chmod 755 "wpadmin.htaccess"
    Error:	set attrs for /wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups/wpadmin.htaccess: permission denied
    Status:	Set permissions of '/wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups/root.htaccess' to '755'
    Command:	chmod 755 "root.htaccess"
    Error:	set attrs for /wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups/root.htaccess: permission denied
    Status:	Set permissions of '/wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups/.htaccess' to '755'
    Command:	chmod 755 ".htaccess"
    Error:	set attrs for /wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups/.htaccess: permission denied

I did notice that the folder permissions of this folder and the parent folder (/bps-backup) were already set at 775.

I’m going to contact WP Engine to see if they know why I don’t seem to have permissions to change the attributes (although if the attributes are already 775, do they need downgrading to 755?).

Of course the lack of permission to change the attributes wouldn’t matter if it was simply a case of creating that sub-folder of /master-backups. But I still can’t switch ARQ on. Why would that be?

I’ve also got another PHP error:

Permission denied in /nas/wp/www/xxxx/xxxx/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/functions.php on line 4980
    [15-Nov-2013 17:07:33] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /nas/wp/www/xxxx/xxxx/wp-content/object-cache.php on line 199

FYI, line 199 of that file reads:

$this->group_ops[$group][] = "get $id";

Your login is still valid for that site.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Does WPEngine do anything with folder permissions or Ownership for folders and files on a DSO Server?  I really have no idea what WPEngine is or does.  Since you have a DSO Server then folder / file Ownership is going to be the factor that is important here, I think, but I did notice that all the other folders that are working correctly have 775 permissions and not 755 so that may be all that you need to do for the /master-backups folder on your DSO Server.  I guess try that first and then look at Ownership of the folder.  Is the Owner of the /bps-backup folder the same Owner of the /master-backups folder?

ARQ will not allow you to turn it on until you fix the /master-backups folder otherwise there would be a catastrophic problem on this site.  Once that problem is fixed then ARQ will allow you to turn it On.

James Burden
    Participant

Ok. I’m just asking them that question now. Their first response is:

So, as a security measure, we do not allow users to edit their folder’s permissions. This is to limit users from being hacked by accidentally leaving permissions set to 777. You can reset your File Permissions within your WordPress Dashboard. At the top left of that page you’ll see a “WP Engine” tab. After clicking that you’ll see a blue button “Reset File Permissions”.
    Of course, I’ve already done that.

So if the permissions are 775 shouldn’t it then work if it’s a permissions issue? They’re already at 775.

How do I find out whether the owners of the folders are the same? I’m using filezilla and that doesn’t indicate who the owner of a folder is.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Try this to see if the /master-backups folder is writable now.  Go to the BPS Backup & Restore tab page in B-Core and try and backup your htaccess files.  If you see an error then you would probably need to change Ownership of the /master-backups folder.  WinSCP will let you view who is Owner of a folder and you can even change Ownership, but it is a fairly complicated thing to do.  It would be easier to do this SSH.  FTP users usually do not have Ownership rights to change Ownership and that has to done from an Admin account using SSH on a DSO Server.

Link for WinSCP:  http://winscp.net/eng/download.php

James Burden
    Participant

I was able to backup htaccess no problem.
    And I’ve checked via WinSCP and the owner of both folders is 33 [33] and permissions for both are definitely set to 775.
    I’ve tried switching ARQ on again – just to see if it works and it still doesn’t. Also it causes a PHP error as follows:

[15-Nov-2013 18:54:51] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /nas/wp/www/xxxx/xxxx/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1125

That line of that file reads as:

if ( is_resource( $this->result ) )
    James Burden
    Participant

Actually. Just to clarify. When I clicked Backup htaccess Files I get messages just above the tabs saying:

Your currently active Root .htaccess file has been backed up successfully!
    Your currently active wp-admin htaccess file has been backed up successfully!

But at the bottom of that page in the box titled “Current Backed Up htaccess Files Status I have the following:

Your default.htaccess Master file has NOT been backed up yet!
    Your secure.htaccess Master file has NOT been backed up yet!
    Your wpadmin-secure.htaccess Master file has NOT been backed up yet!
    Your maintenance.htaccess Master file has NOT been backed up yet!
    Your bp-maintenance.php Master file has NOT been backed up yet!
    Your bps-maintenance-values.php Master file has NOT been backed up yet!

And that is common across all three of my sites (even though homestyle-interiors is the only site where I can’t switch ARQ on)

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Try running the Pre-Installation Wizard and Setup Wizard now.  The Master File backup is obsolete and pending removal.  You can either backup Master files to get rid of the error checks or just ignore them.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Also you will need to delete the AutoRestore folder exclude rules that are created due to the WPEngine issue/problem.

James Burden
    Participant

I’ve run Pre-Installation Wizard and Setup Wizard, deleted the extraneous AutoRestore folder rules, checked that that mu-plugins is added as a folder rule and added mysql.sql as a file rule.

Everything working fine now.
    Thank so much! All sorted.
    Looking back through the thread I can’t quite figure out what I’ve done that’s different, but it’s working. 🙂

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The folder permissions change from 755 to 775 for the /master-backups folder was the key to everything working.  Why the /master-backups folder was not created successfully in the first place is the real mystery?

Regarding the issue going on with WPEngine and invalid ARQ exclude folder rules being created:  we have created a similar scenario on a testing site and cannot recreate the problems that are occurring on your sites.  So there is something else that we are not able to simulate.  I suspect that WPEngine is doing something additional to the /wp-content folder that we are not able to reproduce on the testing site.  There are already failsafes in the code that are supposed to prevent what is happening on your sites and for some reason they are not working on your sites.  They work perfectly fine on our testing site.

We added a 17MB .sql file in the root of the /wp-content folder and created mock /mu-plugins and /wpengine folders and none of the same problems are occurring.  So I think we will need to take a different approach.  Something like check if WPEngine is installed and then display a Dashboard Alert with a link to a Forum Topic to explain the additional steps that will need to be done manually.  I do not see a way to automate this since the BPS Pro Setup Wizard code is already handling this correctly on our testing site.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I would like to log into one of your sites to gather some information for the WPEngine checking code that we will be adding to the Setup Wizard.  Which site would be a good one to login to?  It will take me about 10 minutes to gather the info I need.  Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.