How to delete plugin and theme backup files in AutoRestore

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro How to delete plugin and theme backup files in AutoRestore

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Chris Moon
    Participant

I’m trying to reduce bloat on my site and discovered that BPS’s Autorestore backup is not removing deleted plugins and themes and yes I have run current backup.

Would you take a look at this Ed so these folders remain current.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Turn Off AutoRestore, under wp-content Files click the Delete Backup Files button to delete your old backup files, under wp-content Files click the Backup Files button to backup your wp-content files again and turn AutoRestore back on.

Chris Moon
    Participant

Thanks Ed.

I know how to do it but was thinking more in the lines of a future update could perhaps automate the process so that backing up first deleted the old files and then created a current backup, instead of adding files to the existing backup folder.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yes, this sounds like a good idea.  It has been added to the task list to be researched/tested.  If everything looks good in R&D then it would be added in a later version of BPS Pro.  Currently new additions/features that do not fall under Top Priority status are added to the task list, but will get bumped down the list by anything that comes up that has a Top Priority status.  The next 2 versions of BPS Pro (8.3 and 8.4) are locked in with all scheduled tasks to be completed in those versions so the soonest this would be added would be BPS Pro 8.5.  Thanks for the good idea.

AW
    Participant

There’s a scenario that I encounter on deleting AutoRestore files.
    I had search the forum and try to do as advise but seems it restore it back.
    The issue is Child theme created by orbisius child theme creator.
    Reference link guide :

1. https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/deleting-backup-files/
    2. https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/

I am no longer needed the child them and the plugin as well.

What I did:-
    METHOD 1

1. Uninstall the plugin and select deleted themes created.
    2. Turn off AutoRestore
    3. Delete Backup Files ( Under AutoRestore > WP Content Files )
    4. Backup Files Files ( Under AutoRestore > WP Content Files )
    5. Show Backup Files ( Under AutoRestore > WP Content Files ) * all files were correct and none child theme files are listed there
    6. Go to Quarantine
    7. Delete all theme files in quarrantine > Done
    8. Result > Once i reload BPS, the files auto restore again

When i go to “wp-content/bps-backup/quarantine/wp-content/themes” via FTP, the theme files is still there.

Please guide.
    Regards,

Alex

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ AW – The old child theme folder is probably still in autorestore backup because empty folders are not deleted and only the files in the folders are deleted.  You can manually delete any empty folders if you would like to do that.  Either way is fine since the folders are empty folders without any files in them.

AW
    Participant

VIA Cpanel File manager

1. I had deleted the theme folder as advised ” wp-content/bps-backup/quarantine/wp-content/themes”
    2. Then I go to Quarantine and deleted the files > but it restored back.
    3. Then I went to “wp-content/bps-backup/autorestore/wp-content/themes” I can still see the theme folders.
    4. The files are harmless but i wish i could clear(delete) all previously files so in the future i can easy manage it in case any dangerous quarantine file

Please advise, your patient is highly appreciated. As I am still learning on WP, getting more and more familiar with BPS.
    Regards,
    Alex

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

1. Turn AutoRestore Off.
    2. Delete any wp-content folders and/or files that you want to delete under  the /wp-content/ folder.
    3. Click the AutoRestore > wp-content Files > Delete Backup Files button.
    4. Click the AutoRestore > wp-content Files > Backup Files button.
    5. Turn AutoRestore On.
    6. Delete any files that you want to delete that are in Quarantine.

AW
    Participant

VIA Cpanel File manager

1. Turn Off Autorestore
    2. VIA Cpanel File manager Deleted ” wp-content/bps-backup/autorestore/wp-content/themes” ( child theme )
    3. VIA Cpanel File manager No More Child Theme as deleted previously” wp-content/bps-backup/quarantine/wp-content/themes”
    4. VIA Cpanel File manager ” /wp-content/themes ” Deleted Child Theme as well, None child theme shown
    5. Click the AutoRestore > wp-content Files > Delete Backup Files button.
    6. Click the AutoRestore > wp-content Files > Backup Files button.
    7. Turn AutoRestore On.
    8. Delete any files that you want to delete that are in Quarantine.
    9. The Files still restored back and shown 42 quarantine files ( tho there is no more file as refer to the quarantine file link )

Hope my information enough for your advise and solution. If it is okay to ignore the no-more existing files listed in quanrantine then do let me know.

Regards,
    Alex

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

1. Turn AutoRestore Off on the BPS Pro AutoRestore page.
    2. Delete any wp-content folders and/or files that you want to delete under  the /wp-content/ folder.  See additional standard procedural steps below when manually modifying/editing/deleting files.
    5. Turn AutoRestore On.

AutoRestore|Quarantine Manual File Editing/Uploading Procedural Steps
    AutoRestore|Quarantine (ARQ IDPS) is a real-time file monitor that monitors all of your website files for any changes. When manually uploading or modifying files or folders with FTP use these simple procedural steps to avoid having those files autorestored and/or quarantined. If files are sent to Quarantine then use the Restore File option in Quarantine to restore those files. ARQ is amazing, but it cannot tell who you are if you are manually modifying or uploading files or folders outside of your WordPress Dashboard – that is not possible.

1. Turn AutoRestore Off on the AutoRestore page.
    2. Manually upload files or manually modify/edit files or folders.
    3. Click the appropriate AutoRestore Backup Files button: Root Files, wp-admin Files, wp-includes Files or wp-content Files Backup Files button or run the Setup Wizards.
    4. Turn AutoRestore back On.

AW
    Participant

I do really try as advised and follow the steps accordingly. Did few times as well.

1. Turn AutoRestore Off on the BPS Pro AutoRestore page.
      1. YES
    2. Delete any wp-content folders and/or files that you want to delete under  the /wp-content/ folder.  See additional standard procedural steps below when manually modifying/editing/deleting files.
      1. YES – checked everything on every folder, the file / theme quarantined is non existent
      1. YES
      1. YES
    5. Turn AutoRestore On.
      1. YES
      1. YES

So far even the files still be able to see in quarantined, it was all child theme files. It does not effect on the website, just cant’t delete or clear the status the non existing files.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I do not understand what the problem is.  Are you saying you are unable to delete the files in Quarantine?  Are you saying you can delete the files in Quarantine, but the files are quarantined again?  What exactly is the problem?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I think you need to delete the BPS quarantine database table based on what I think might have caused the problem.  Log into your web host control panel > phpMyAdmin and delete this database table > xx_bpspro_arq_quarantine.  Note:  the x’s are your particular WordPress DB Table Prefix.  It might be wp_ or something else if you have changed your WP DB Table Prefix.

AW
    Participant

Yes !

You got it right, it was all in the BPS quarantine in phpmyadmin.

1. Deleted all the files in BPS quarantine phpmyadmin.
    2. The files were no longer shown in the bps quarantine.

solve

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Great!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.