HTTP ERROR 500 on update with WP 4.7

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro HTTP ERROR 500 on update with WP 4.7

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lloyd
    Participant

Hi,

Running into a bit of a snaffu here – and the word does’t nearly do the situation justice.
    I just took down a dozen sites by updating BPS and WP core, and need to know how I can go about fixing it. I am certain it is related to BPS.
    I thought maybe it was a server config issue, because I had been having previous issues with the host I am on. However I tried the same combination of things on an entirely separate host and the same thing occurred immediately upon reactivation of BPS.
    Steps that I took that led to the error:

1.  Deactivate BPS entirely, from security modes page, then plugins page
    2. Run backup using backupbuddy
    3.  Update plugins
    4.  Update core
    5. Turn plugins back on
    6. No longer able to access site – error 500 received

I renamed the BPS Pro plugin folder, and checked the root .htaccess, but I don’t know how to proceed from here. Root htaccess is default.
    What else might be causing this?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Important Note: If you have BPS Pro 12.8 or higher versions of BPS Pro installed click this link for quickier and easier steps to fix quarantined files problems: https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/website-not-loading-after-wordpress-upgrade-or-theme-upgrade-500-error-files-quarantined/. BPS Pro 12.8+ versions automatically deactivate/turn ARQ Off when the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder is renamed instead of having to use the BPS Pro XTF Form Tools to deactivate/turn ARQ Off.

The problem that occurred is that WordPress 4.7 files were quarantined.  The reason for that is because you deactivated BPS Pro, did the WordPress 4.7 upgrade and then activated BPS Pro again.  BPS Pro has a feature called “AutoRestore Automation“, which automatically turns Off AutoRestore, backs up new WordPress files and turns AutoRestore back On when you upgrade WordPress.  In order for AutoRestore Automation to work, the BPS Pro must be activated during the WordPress upgrade.  Or if you prefer to do things manually then these are the steps for AutoRestore|Quarantine Standard Procedural Steps when manually modifying files

The quickest method to get all of your sites back up is to do a file restore (do not restore your databases) and then upgrade to WordPress 4.7 again using the standard WordPress Upgrade method:  Click the Dashboard menu > Updates menu > Update Now button.  Note:  The BPS Pro plugin should be activated so that AutoRestore Automation will work normally.  If you prefer a safer method of upgrading to WordPress 4.7 then use these steps below:

Safe method to upgrade to WordPress 4.7:
    1. Turn Off AutoRestore.
    2. Upgrade to WordPress to 4.7.
    3. Re-run the BPS Pro Pre-Installation Wizard and Setup Wizard.

Additional Notes:  It is not necessary to deactivate plugins during a WordPress upgrade.  If you are upgrading WordPress using a remote service or plugin then you will need to use the AutoRestore|Quarantine Standard Procedural Steps when manually modifying files  The reason for that is AutoRestore cannot tell who is installing/adding files to your website if you are installing files remotely/from a remote location.  AutoRestore Automation is only designed to work with the WordPress API at this point.  We are developing additional code/methods that will allow remote installations by plugins such as ManageWP, WP Remote, InfiniteWP, etc.  Exact ETA is unknown at this time, but projected dates are January 2017 – March 2017.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.