Theme update – files sent to quarantine

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Theme update – files sent to quarantine

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    armintz
    Participant

done. same error taking place.

my wordpress install is in a sub-directory (/site) – not sure if this is causing any issue somewhere? the files i just ftp’d from auto-restore were restored to my /site directory as per your instructions

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ armintz – Oh ok then you have copied the xternal.php file to the wrong place.  It needs to be copied to your WordPress installation folder (the folder where WordPress is installed).

armintz
    Participant

removed xternal.php from root and added to my wp directory (/site). seeing the 500 http error: brightsidewoodenboat.com/site/xternal.php

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ armintz – Wow ok that means your particular theme has dependent files without conditions that allow for theme files to be missing, which is causing the 500 errors.  Try this:  Use FTP and rename your theme folder by adding an underscore in front of the theme folder name:  _example-theme.  This will hopefully allow you load the XTF form now.  After you have deactivated AutoRestore using the XTF form then rename your theme folder and then do the rest of the steps above to replace your theme folder.

armintz
    Participant

progress! logged into xternal tools successfully… i checked “turn off autorestore” and clicked “submit xternal tools form” at the bottom (i have not yet clicked the “lock xternal tools” button at the top of the window) is my next step to upload my backup theme folder?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ armintz – Yep, do the rest of the steps that I posted.

Also I assumed that you were updating your Theme in your WordPress Dashboard, but if you were manually updating your Theme by uploading Theme files to your website then you would need to do the AutoRestore|Quarantine Manual File Editing/Uploading Procedural Steps here: http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#procedural-steps

armintz
    Participant

Site is back up after uploading the backup theme folder!

armintz
    Participant

I was getting the http 500 error on both the frontend and backend, so the changes I’ve been making have been with FTP as I did not have wp dashboard access

“Also I assumed that you were updating your Theme in your WordPress Dashboard, but if you were manually updating your Theme by uploading Theme files to your website then you would need to do the AutoRestore|Quarantine Manual File Editing/Uploading Procedural Steps here: http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#procedural-steps

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ armintz – I was referring to when you orginally updated your Theme and this problem occurred.  I assumed that you had updated your Theme in your WordPress Dashboard.  I did not ask you if you had updated your theme manually or not.

armintz
    Participant

oh okay, I understand. the original theme update was also done via FTP and not the WP dashboard.

now that the site is functioning, I am terrified to continue with the rest of the steps (lol). i will do so in a few hours 😛

questions first: after I uploaded the backup theme folder, the next step says to do this:

“3. Either run the Pre-Installation & Setup Wizard again or go to AutoRestore and click the wp-content Folder >>> Backup Files button to backup your new Theme files and turn AutoRestore back On.”

Is this correct? Because as of now, bulletproof is still deactivated, and unless I’m misunderstanding something, BPS Pro shouldn’t be reactivated until the final step you have listed:

8.  Use FTP and rename the /_bulletproof-security plugin folder back to /bulletproof-security.”

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ armintz – Ok glad I asked that.  So you were probably doing the manual ARQ procedural steps, but just forgot to backup files before turning ARQ back On.  Yep, rename the bulletproof-security plugin now. I posted 2 different sets of steps due to your particular theme 500 error problem.  ARQ is turned Off at this point since you turned it off using the XTF form so you do not have to worry about files being quarantined.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ armintz – Also you can exclude your theme folder from being checked by AutoRestore if you want so that this problem will not happen in the future.  Hackers don’t usually go after theme files.  They go after the /plugins/ folder, the /uploads/ folder, the WordPress Core files: /wp-admin/, /wp-includes/ and particular WordPress Core root files like:  wp-config.php, wp-load.php, etc.  See these links below for how to create an AutoRestore wp-content folder exclude rule for your theme folder.

BulletProof Security Pro AutoRestore|Quarantine Exclude Folders or Files Video Tutorial
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/video-tutorials/#autorestore-quarantine

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#autorestore-exclude-rules

armintz
    Participant

“Ok glad I asked that.  So you were probably doing the manual ARQ procedural steps, but just forgot to backup files before turning ARQ back On.”

I didn’t click any of the 4 ARQ backup step buttons. I uploaded my theme via FTP, but then saw the WP dashboard alerts about files being sent to quarantine… at that point I thought “oops, forgot to turn off autostore before uploading those files” …I assumed (perhaps falsely?) that you should turn off autorestore before manually uploading files via FTP.

So I turned off autorestore, and then Restored the files from quarantine… I believe at that point is when everything crashed.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ armintz – Here are the complete AutoRestore|Quarantine Manual File Editing/Uploading Procedural Steps:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#procedural-steps

Your particular theme has dependent files and your theme apparently does not have coded conditions (failsafes) so that if some theme files are missing your theme should not try to load at all. Example condition:  “if file exists then load theme file X”.  Most likely new folders were added to your newer theme and since those folders did not exist in AutoRestore backup then restoring theme files would not work correctly.

armintz
    Participant

Okay i renamed the _bulletproof-security plugin folder and reactivated the plugin from the WP admin.

It says 77 files are in quarantine, looks like theme files (not sure if this was from before, or after activating it just now)… I don’t dare to restore them, as that seemed to be what crashed my site last time. Any suggestions for my next step?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.