Theme update – files sent to quarantine

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Theme update – files sent to quarantine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Philip Shambrook
    Participant

There’s definitely an element of inane stupidity on my part, but there is I believe a level of responsibility on BPS Pro’s part too.

I had just updated a site to WP3.8 with ARQ turned off – I know it’s not necessary to have it turned off but I was doing other things. I then updated a theme but failed to notice that ARQ had been enable again after the core update. I turned ARQ on, well must have thought I did, because when I left the site it was indeed on. Problem was when a few minutes later I went to return to the site I could not access it at all, neither could I get to wp-admin to do anything about it. When I did get to look at the files it was clear that BPS ARQ had quarantined all the upgrade files for the theme.

Long story short, I eventually recovered the site using a WP3.7 set of files. I reapplied the 3.8 upgrade again with ARQ turned off. it was then I noticed that ARQ had been automatically turned off and hence why the theme upgrade caused a files to be quarantined.

So yes, an element of blame on my part, but please if we select ARQ off for an update let’s leave it off and not have it turned on automatically. Unless of course this is a problem caused by WP 3.8.

Happy as otherwise 🙂

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Important Note: If you have BPS Pro 12.8 or higher versions of BPS Pro installed click this link for quickier and easier steps to fix quarantined files problems: https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/website-not-loading-after-wordpress-upgrade-or-theme-upgrade-500-error-files-quarantined/. BPS Pro 12.8+ versions automatically deactivate/turn ARQ Off when the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder is renamed instead of having to use the BPS Pro XTF Form Tools to deactivate/turn ARQ Off.

When upgrading WordPress, BPS Pro handles everything automatically. When you are manually upgrading Themes or Plugins then an additional click is required on your part. Theme and Plugin updates cannot be automated in the same way that WordPress upgrades are automated. I will not bore you with the numerous technical and logical reasons for why that is.  I believe in this particular scenario you probably could have just done these steps:

1. Turn Off AutoRestore (when you cannot log into your site see AutoRestore/Quarantine Troubleshooting & Problem Recovery below).
    2. Upload just the Themes folder.
    3. Go to AutoRestore and click the wp-content Backup Files button to backup your new Theme files.
    4. Go to Quarantine and delete all Theme files that were quarantined.

AutoRestore/Quarantine Automation Help Reference
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#automation

AutoRestore/Quarantine Troubleshooting & Problem Recovery
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#ARQ-Troubleshooting

Philip Shambrook
    Participant

I think the problem is here: dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2144321/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-13%20at%2012.32.51.png

it’s clearly a browser refresh issue but I would still prefer to have the setting remain off if I set it off. I know I am only one amongst thousands…The problem was that I could not get back to the website at all. Only a blank page was visible and an inability to access the website admin.

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

There is an option to turn AutoRestore Off permanently/override ARQ Automation.  It is called ARQ Cron Override and was added in BPS Pro 8.0.

http://www.ait-pro.com/aitpro-blog/4926/bulletproof-security-pro/whats-new-in-bulletproof-security-pro-8-0/

NEW AutoRestore Option: ARQ Cron Override

The ARQ Cron Override On or Off default setting is Off. Choosing the Turn On ARQ Cron Override setting turns Off ARQ & will prevent ARQ from automatically turning itself back On after WP automatic updates, plugin updates or theme updates.

BPS Pro Release Dates / Whats New
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/bulletproof-security-pro-version-release-dates/

Philip Shambrook
    Participant

I did know that but not had any problems until today. Of course, reading all the guides and watching all the tutorials would be useful too. Problem is time. And since generally everything works very well there are no problems generally. I do value the plugin for its simplicity of use that clearly overlays something very complicated and well beyond my skills and knowledge.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You said it all brother.  Some of the coding work in BPS Pro is so complex that it gives me a headache going back into previously created code and adding new code to that existing code.  The more complex the code becomes at the code level the simpler functionality becomes at the human level. 😉

Dean McNamara
    Participant

[Topic has been merged into this relevant Topic]

Hi,

I am running a Genesis theme and broke my site when I updated the theme. I followed the rename BP, upload new Genesis, restart BP formulae and it worked – YAY.

Then in my excitement I promptly broke my site again by forgetting to turn of auto cron while making some code changes. Now the aforementioned steps don’t seem to work. Just all white pages. 🙁

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Dean McNamara – Steps to fix the problem:

1. Use FTP or your Web Host Control Panel File Manager and rename the /bulletproof-security plugin folder to /__bulletproof-security.
    2. Upload new theme folders and files to that theme’s folder for this website.
    3. Log into your website and go to the WordPress Plugins page. This forces the BulletProof Security Pro plugin to be deactivated.
    4. Using FTP or your Web Host Control Panel File Manager, rename the /bulletproof-security plugin folder back to its original folder name.
    5. Quickly activate, deactivate and activate the BulletProof Security Pro plugin – AutoRestore is turned Off / deactivated by doing the steps above.
    6. Either run the Pre-Installation & Setup Wizard or go to AutoRestore and click the wp-content Folder >>> Backup Files button to backup your new theme files.
    7. Go to Quarantine and delete all of the theme files in Quarantine.

BPS Pro 10.2 is scheduled to be released today and has new ARQ Automation code/features that automate all theme updates/upgrades, installations and upload zip installations.

chuckz
    Participant

[Topic merged into this relevant Topic]

I deactivated the auto backup to update BPS plugin and WP themes.  After I turned on the auto backup, it quarantined a BUNCH of the theme files.  I “restored” the quarantined theme files, and now the entire site (front and admin) is WHITE. I tried renaming the BPS folder, theme folder, with no different. HOW DO I FIX THIS?????

chuckz
    Participant

Thanks, I will work with the info in this thread!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ chuckz – Theme updates/upgrades/installations are completely automated by AutoRestore.  You do not have to turn off AutoRestore when updating/upgrading/installing Themes.  ARQ turns itself off automatically when you install or upgrade a Theme and displays a link for you to click to complete AutoRestore file backup.  If you do turn off AutoRestore then that will mean that you would then need to manually backup the new Theme files that you updated/installed on the AutoRestore page by clicking the wp-content Folder >>> Backup Files button before turning AutoRestore back On.  So it is actually much simpler and quicker to allow AutoRestore Automation to handle Theme upgrades/updates/installations automatically.

To fix the blank site problem do these steps:

1. Use the BPS Pro Xternal Tools Form to deactivate/turn Off AutoRestore.
    XTF Guide: http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/xternal-tools-xtf-guide/
    XTF Video Tutorial: http://forum.ait-pro.com/video-tutorials/#xternal-tools
    2. Delete your old Theme folder and upload a new Theme folder or delete your old Theme folder, login and install your Theme again.
    3. Either run the Pre-Installation & Setup Wizard again or go to AutoRestore and click the wp-content Folder >>> Backup Files button to backup your new Theme files and turn AutoRestore back On.

chuckz
    Participant

Thank you very much for the help!!

The site is back, and *I think* everything is working correctly now.  But I do have a couple questions, so that I do not do this to myself again (I cannot afford to lose another 20 years :D). The quarantine has 125 theme files — do I delete these, or just let them sit in the quarantine??  I know I don’t want to restore them, that’s what caused the site to go white before! From my understanding, I caused this problem by turning off the autobackup when updating the theme and plugin files through the WP admin, correct?? As long as I am updating/changing through the admin side of WP, I never need to turn off the autobackup, right?? Only if I am uploading/editing/changing through FTP do I need to turn off the auto backup?? Sorry for all the stupid questions, I just want to be sure I understand this better, so I don’t repeat the mistake!

Thanks again 🙂

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Delete the duplicate Theme files in Quarantine since you uploaded or installed new Theme files.  There are a handful of plugins and themes that have dependent files and if you try to restore those plugin’s or theme’s files then this blank website problem will occur. Assuming you have a current version of BPS Pro (current BPS Pro version is 10.9 as of 8-17-2015) installed that has AutoRestore Theme automation then the whole process of Theme installations or upgrades is completely automated (requires one click by you to complete the AutoRestore file backup after Theme installation or upgrade).  Yes, there is only one exception when you need to turn off AutoRestore and manually backup files, which is when you are manually editing or uploading files outside of your WordPress Dashboard (FTP, web host control panel file manager).  ARQ manual procedural steps:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#procedural-steps

chuckz
    Participant

Yes, I’m using the latest version of BPS Pro.   Thank you for the clarification — I will do my best not to repeat this mistake. Having a completely white site is not a happy feeling, and I appreciate your quick replies and help.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH :)!!

Peter
    Participant

[Topic has been merged into this relevant Topic]
    I forgot to turn off arq before updating genesis, so all the files got quarantined and when I restored them the whole site went blank.  I see from the forum that this is not a new problem, so I’ve tried to access xternal.php but even the link to that is blank.

I’ve checked the path and that xternal.php is present.  Also turned off all plugins except bps, deleted the two bps htaccess files and installed the default htaccess, tried to force default to twentyeleven theme but nothing seems to work.  What next please?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.