Turning BPS Pro back on in "off mode" after changes by Bluehost

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Turning BPS Pro back on in "off mode" after changes by Bluehost

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    H Wang
    Participant

Total website novice here. Tried to find the answer in the forum but couldn’t. Here’s the situation:

1. Website http://www.mycozyclassics.com running without serious issues for years (with BPS Pro).
    2. Got a notice about crawling errors from Google today. Website not working at all (no error messages in browser – just staring at white page.)
    3. Only changes I made recently was a blog post about a week ago. I never mess around with backend files.
    4. Call Bluehost. They say theme files in the wrong place. They move the files (I don’t know where), and website up and running again. I’m happy, and don’t know how the theme files could have moved, but no matter.
    5. I activate BPS pro plugin, hoping it comes on in “off” mode so I can set up BPS pro with new file configuration, but BPS is “on” and immediately quarantines files (presumably the new location of theme files).
    6. Back to square one, website totally unresponsive and just gives a white page in browser. Dashboard also not accessible to deal with BPS Pro issues.
    7. Call Bluehost back. They move theme files again and website back up.

Please advise how I set up BPS Pro again from here without simply activating it on the plugins page, which I presume will blow up my site again. Can I turn off BPS Pro somehow from outside my WordPress dashboard, or should I uninstall and reinstall BPS Pro?

If the latter option is required, I still have the activation key for my website from years ago. Will that still work, and will that provide me with version 13.2, which I have now?

Thanks!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

To fix this issue assuming you have at least BPS Pro 12.8 already installed, you would use FTP or your web host control panel file manager and rename the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder, visit/view your website once (automatically turns ARQ Off) and rename the BPS Pro plugin folder back to /bulletproof-security/.  You can then activate the BPS pro plugin and run the BPS Pro Setup Wizards, which will automatically backup your theme files and all other files and turn AutoRestore back on.

If you do not already have at least BPS Pro 12.8 installed, you can use the XTF Form tool to deactivate AutoRestore > https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/xternal-tools-xtf-guide/

BPS Pro should never be deactivated for troubleshooting.  BPS Pro has built-in troubleshooting capability – all BPS Pro features can be turned On or Off separately/individually > https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-pro/#bps-pro-general-troubleshooting  If you deactivate BPS Pro then you no longer have any troubleshooting capability and automated things like AutoRestore|Quarantined cannot function normally if the BPS Pro plugin is deactivated.

Additional recommendation:  Take a few minutes to read the top 4 paragraphs of the AutoRestore|Quarantine Guide to get an idea about what AutoRestore|Quarantine is and how it works > https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/

H Wang
    Participant

Thanks for the speedy reply. I renamed the folder by adding “-2”, and then visited my website. Then I logged into wp-admin and tried to activate BPS Pro. I got this message:

<b>Warning</b>: require_once(/home1/xxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in <b>/home1/xxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security-2/bulletproof-security.php</b> on line <b>68</b>

Am I missing something?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

After renaming the BPS Pro plugin folder and visiting/viewing your website once, rename the BPS Pro plugin folder back to its original name /bulletproof-security/ and then activate BPS Pro.  I updated my original help info and added: “…visit/view your website once (automatically turns ARQ Off) and rename the BPS Pro plugin folder back to /bulletproof-security/….”

H Wang
    Participant

OK, thanks. It worked. I presumed I needed to put the folder name back, but was proceeding out of an abundance of caution to make sure that wouldn’t turn BPS back on. Didn’t want to call Bluehost again. Thanks a lot! Much appreciated!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Great!  Thanks for confirming that worked.  In the future if ARQ quarantines any legitimate files and causes this problem it is pretty simple and quick to manually fix the problem yourself (web host support help is not needed) by doing the steps in this forum topic > https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/website-not-loading-after-wordpress-upgrade-or-theme-upgrade-500-error-files-quarantined/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.