WordPress Update – Quarantined Files

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro WordPress Update – Quarantined Files

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dtyler1
    Participant

The past two updates to WordPress have resulted in files being quarantined. I’m not sure if these files are legitimate and why they are quarantined after automatic shut down and backup has been performed. The files are flash files which make me suspicious since flash is famous for security flaws and is no longer actively supported by major browsers.

[wp-includes File AutoRestore Logged: 2016-05-07 8:59 am]
    Quarantined Filename: plupload.flash.swf
    Quarantine Path: ../wp-content/bps-backup/quarantine/wp-includes/js/plupload/plupload.flash.swf
    Restore Path: ../wp-includes/js/plupload/plupload.flash.swf

Quarantined Filename: mediaelement-and-player.min.js
    Quarantine Path: ../wp-content/bps-backup/quarantine/wp-includes/js/mediaelement/mediaelement-and-player.min.js
    Restore Path: ../wp-includes/js/mediaelement/mediaelement-and-player.min.js

Quarantined Filename: flashmediaelement.swf
    Quarantine Path: ../public_html/wp-content/bps-backup/quarantine/wp-includes/js/mediaelement/flashmediaelement.swf
    Restore Path: ../public_html/wp-includes/js/mediaelement/flashmediaelement.swf
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Important Note: If you have BPS Pro 12.8 or higher versions of BPS Pro installed click this link for quickier and easier steps to fix quarantined files problems: https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/website-not-loading-after-wordpress-upgrade-or-theme-upgrade-500-error-files-quarantined/. BPS Pro 12.8+ versions automatically deactivate/turn ARQ Off when the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder is renamed instead of having to use the BPS Pro XTF Form Tools to deactivate/turn ARQ Off.

Were these WordPress Automatic updates or did you install the WordPress updates manually using Dashboard > Updates > Install Now?  Were the WordPress versions 4.5.1 and 4.5.2?  If any WordPress files are quarantined during either a WordPress Automatic update or a manual WordPress update it is safe to restore any/all WordPress files in Quarantine.  Use the Quarantine Restore File option to restore files that were quarantined.  The most likely cause for why the WordPress files were quarantined is a timing/delay/latency issue/problem.  Example:  If there is a server hiccup or connectivity or slowness problem that occurs during the ARQ automation process where AutoRestore turns itself Off, backs up new WordPress files and then turns itself back On, then ARQ automation may not be able process things in a timely manner.  ARQ automation does allow for some timing/delay/latency issues/problems, but if the timing/delay/latency issue/problem is extreme then most likely ARQ automation steps will not complete fully.  If you would like for me to login to your website and check the website/server for possible issues/problems then send a WordPress Administrator login to:  info at ait-pro dot com.

Adobe Flash is still used widely and is supported by all major Browsers, but Adobe abandoned creating a Flash Player for mobile devices and is instead focusing on Flash use in gaming and premium video. YouTube uses the HTML5 player as the default video player as of 1-2015 vs the Flash player. The Flash player can still be used on YouTube, but you have to choose that option. Google AdSense (Google Ads) automatically converts Flash Ads into HTML5 Ads where possible, but not all Flash Ads can be converted to HTML5 so Flash is still supported in Google AdSense.  So the real reason for Google/YouTube and other major websites switching to HTML5 is because Flash abandoned creating a Flash Player for mobile devices and Flash has decided to focus on specialized Flash usage instead of broad Internet usage.  Flash has had its fair share of security vulnerabilities just like all other software. Maybe more than some software and maybe less than other software.

dtyler1
    Participant

[Similar related Topic merged into this Topic]
    I have two wp-config.php files quarantined today. When I looked them over they appear fine so I’m curious why they got sent to quarantine? I have shared hosting with Godaddy.com.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I have merged your other Topic into this Topic you created since the wp-config.php file being quarantined issue/problem may be related to your WordPress Core files being quarantined issue/problem.  You can send these wp-config.php files to us if you want us to check and compare them for differences.  /wp-content/bps-backup/quarantine/root-files/wp-config.php and your Live wp-config.php file in your website root folder.  Email files to:  info at ait-pro dot com.

Zsolt Edelényi
    Participant

[Topic merged into this relevant Topic]
    Sometimes (not always) happens the following:
    I upgrade the WP to the latest version, and then BPS Pro put a few or more files to quarantine. After restoring, everything goes well.
    Is this normal? Can I avoid somehow to put new files to quarantine?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Zsolt Edelényi – Yep, files may be quarantined if some sort of problem occurs (server delay or hiccup, etc.) during the process of updating/installing WP.  So just restore any files that are quarantined.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.