AutoRestore|Quarantine Guide

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro AutoRestore|Quarantine Guide

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Martino
    Participant

[Topic has been merged into this relevant Topic]
    I had an issue with the site where every time I was entering a URL, instead of opening the site, the browser was downloading the page as a file. Apparently, there was an issue with the .htaccess file and my server administrators managed to fix it. Basically, the following two lines should be commented but BPS keeps restoring the old .htaccess file where they are uncommented:

AddType application/x-httpd-lsphp .php .php4 .php5 .php53 .php54 .php55 .php56 .php6 .phtml
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-lsphp .php .php4 .php5 .php53 .php54 .php55 .php56 .php6 .phtml

My server guys are saying: “BSP have an option to see the current .htaccess file and save the directives there. That way if the account is hacked and the hackers modify the .htaccess file, BPS will automatically restore it to the last known “good” state. That is happening now but the problem is that BPS is removing the changes that I made to fix the site (i.e. when it was offering to download a file).”

I cannot find this option (or at least I don’t recognise it as I am not technical enough). Can someone point me in the right director?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Normally you would turn off AutoRestore when manually modifying files using these steps:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#procedural-steps  but in this particular case you would not be able to do that because of the php handler issue/problem.  You can do either one of the methods below to fix this issue/problem.

1. Turn Off|Deactivate AutoRestore|Quarantine (ARQ) using BPS Pro XTF tools: http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/xternal-tools-xtf-guide/
    2. Add your php handler manually in your root htaccess file again.
    3. Login to your site and go to BPS Root Custom Code and add your php handler in this Custom Code text box: CUSTOM CODE TOP PHP/PHP.INI HANDLER/CACHE CODE
    4. re-run the Pre-Installation Wizard and Setup Wizard.

or

1. Use FTP and edit this file: /wp-content/bps-backup/autorestore/root-files/auto_.htaccess and add your php handler code in this file.
    2. Add your php handler manually in your root htaccess file again.
    3. Login to your site and go to BPS Root Custom Code and add your php handler in this Custom Code text box: CUSTOM CODE TOP PHP/PHP.INI HANDLER/CACHE CODE
    4. re-run the Pre-Installation Wizard and Setup Wizard.

Dennis
    Participant

Ed,
    I am getting RELLY irritated of the Quarantine, each, and every time I set up a new site, the Quarantine put a few files in quarantine. Usually, it is a few clicks to tame the monster to stop quarantine files, but now, it has been over an hour trying to restore those files, but they are quarantine faster than I restore them! Disabled BPS and upon reactivation, it quarantined even more files.

Why does this happen and how to stop it from quarantine files every time on a new install?

Also, the Autorestore, after V: 11.8 each and ever time I update or activate a plugin I need to put the Autorestore manually to on.

Regards
    Dennis

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Dennis – If you are manually installing things outside of your WordPress Dashboard then use the AutoRestore|Quarantine Standard Procedural Steps when manually modifying or installing files:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#procedural-steps

ARQ is amazing, but it cannot tell who you are if you are manually modifying or uploading files or folders outside of your WordPress Dashboard – that is not possible.

AutoRestore from BPS Pro 12+ will remember if AutoRestore is turned On or Off and will not automatically itself back On if it was turned Off when updating a plugin or updating anything else. AutoRestore Automation is designed to automatically turn itself Off, backup files and turn itself back On again IF AutoRestore was turned On. In other words, you do not need to manually turn Off AutoRestore when installing or updating anything IF you are updating and installing things in your WordPress Dashboard and not manually uploading/modifying files. See the AutoRestore (ARQ IDPS) Automation help section here: http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#automation

Living Miracles
    Participant

Hi,

My /public_html/wp-includes/error_log got quarantined today (actually, multiple times). When I viewed the file, the last few errors are:

[29-Nov-2016 02:47:19 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function _deprecated_file() in /home/mysite/public_html/wp-includes/registration.php on line 7
    [29-Nov-2016 03:17:22 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function _deprecated_file() in /home/mysite/public_html/wp-includes/registration.php on line 7
    [29-Nov-2016 04:36:37 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function _deprecated_file() in /home/mysite/public_html/wp-includes/registration.php on line 7
    [29-Nov-2016 16:39:57 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function _deprecated_file() in /home/mysite/public_html/wp-includes/registration.php on line 7
    [29-Nov-2016 16:49:54 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function _deprecated_file() in /home/mysite/public_html/wp-includes/registration.php on line 7

When I looked at that /wp-includes/registration.php, this is its content:

<?php
    /**
    * Deprecated. No longer needed.
    * @package WordPress
    */
    _deprecated_file( basename(__FILE__), '3.1.0', null, __( 'This file no longer needs to be included.' ) );

Any idea what this is, or would you recommend I contact my hosting provider?

Thanks,
    Jutta

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Living Miracles – You just need to create an AutoRestore single file exclude rule for the error_log file.  See this link for the steps to do that:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#autorestore-exclude-rules  Not really sure why the php error is occurring. You can probably just comment out the code in the file since it is a deprecated function/file.

Living Miracles
    Participant

Thank you!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Important Note: If you have BPS Pro 12.8 or higher versions of BPS Pro installed click this link for quickier and easier steps to fix quarantined files problems: https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/website-not-loading-after-wordpress-upgrade-or-theme-upgrade-500-error-files-quarantined/. BPS Pro 12.8+ versions automatically deactivate/turn ARQ Off when the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder is renamed instead of having to use the BPS Pro XTF Form Tools to deactivate/turn ARQ Off.

Zsolt Edelényi
    Participant

There is a few webpage, where “just restore” do not work. I restored core files, and it would be quarantined again within few minutes.  Basically those files are impossible to restored irreversible. Do you have procedure for that? Or new version of BPS pro will fix this bug?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Zsolt Edelényi – If the files are WordPress Core files then do these steps:

1. Go to Dashboard > Updates > click the Re-install now button.
    2. Delete all the WordPress Core files in Quarantine.

If the files are not WordPress Core files then do the AutoRestore|Quarantine Standard Procedural Steps when manually modifying files:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#procedural-steps

Steve
    Participant

There have been massive amounts of quarantine files on a site I manage (2501 files).  I can’t seem to  delete or restore the files each time this happens.

Is there anyway to check what the underlying issues are, in order to resolve the problem?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Steve – Use FTP or your web host control panel file manager and download these log files and send them to me: info at ait-pro dot com so I can see what issue/problem occurred. I can then give you the steps to fix the issue/problem.

/wp-content/bps-backup/logs/bps_php_error.log
    /wp-content/bps-backup/logs/http_error_log.txt
    /wp-content/bps-backup/logs/autorestore_log.txt

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Steve – I received your log files.  A default host server php error log file is being repeatedly quarantined.  WordPress language files are being repeatedly quarantined.  See my email reply for the steps to fix these issues.

Tony Payne
    Participant

For the last couple of months, every day my .htaccess file gets quarantined twice for some reason.

I have tried turning off ARQ, rebuilding my .htaccess, backing up all 3 file groups, then running the setup wizard, but it seems to make no difference. Every day without fail, my .htaccess gets quarantined, and it’s at the same time.  I have tried this process 3 times with no success.

It’s never done this before, I wondered if it might be something related to the latest version of BPS Pro, but I haven’t seen anyone else report a problem.

This is what my quarantine log shows…

[BPS Pro 13.5: Root File AutoRestore Logged: June 13, 2018 10:35 am]
    Quarantined Filename: Root .htaccess file renamed to auto_.htaccess
    Quarantine Path: /home/mydomain/_mysite/wp-content/bps-backup/quarantine/root-files/auto_.htaccess
    Restore Path: /home/mydomain/_mysite/.htaccess

[BPS Pro 13.5: Root File AutoRestore Logged: June 13, 2018 10:38 am]
    Quarantine Path: /home/mydomain/_mysite/wp-content/bps-backup/quarantine/root-files/auto_.htaccess

[BPS Pro 13.5: Root File AutoRestore Logged: June 14, 2018 10:35 am]

[BPS Pro 13.5: Root File AutoRestore Logged: June 14, 2018 10:38 am]

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Tony Payne – Sounds like a Cron job is being run twice a day that is updating your root htaccess file.  Check the BPS Pro > Pro-Tools > Scheduled Crons Pro-Tool > for any Scheduled Cron jobs that are being run around 10:35 am and 10:38 am.  If you do not see any Scheduled Cron jobs then maybe the Cron job is being done by your web host server.  Is your Root htaccess file locked on the BPS Pro > B-Core > htaccess File Editor tab page?  Sounds like maybe you need to lock your Root htaccess file to prevent the twice daily Cron job from flushing or writing to your Root htaccess file.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.