500 Error when adding default WordPress Rewrite htaccess code to Custom Code

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free 500 Error when adding default WordPress Rewrite htaccess code to Custom Code

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    GAYNOR WILSON
    Participant

Hi, I have a 500 internal error by adding this code to my htaccess custom code:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress

I am using W3TC but I am not with GoDaddy. So I have no idea why my site acted as such. Can you please tell me how do I fix it?
    Thank you!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

UPDATE: BPS Pro 13+ and BPS 2.0+ versions have a feature called: Setup Wizard AutoFix (AutoWhitelist|AutoSetup|AutoCleanup) that automatically creates plugin and theme whitelist rules and automatically sets up and cleans up caching plugins htaccess code.

BPS already has/incorporates the WordPress Rewrite code into BPS standard htaccess code.  W3TC displays a message that says to add the default WordPress Rewrite code.  That W3TC message is invalid/incorrect because it is just a general displayed message without checking or factoring in that the WordPress Rewrite code actually does already exist in the root htaccess file. So delete the default WordPress Rewrite code wherevever you have added it.  To setup W3TC with BPS see the 2 links below:

W3TC setup steps:
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/installing-w3-total-cache-with-bulletproof-security-pro/

Custom Code video tutorial:
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/video-tutorials/#custom-code

GAYNOR WILSON
    Participant

I did delete the code from htaccess in file manager but the site is still an
    Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator
    More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
    Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    I can’t access wordpress.
    If I delete your plugin from file manager will it fix the issue? Thx

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-pro/#bps-pro-general-troubleshooting

htaccess File Troubleshooting Steps: Unable to Login to Your Website:
    1. Use FTP or your Web Host Control Panel File Manager and delete the .htaccess file in your website root folder and the .htaccess file in your wp-admin folder.  If you do not see the root and wp-admin htaccess files then select “Show Hidden Files” in your FTP application or in your web host control panel file manager.
    See Custom Code Note
    2. Log into your website and Activate all BulletProof Modes.

GAYNOR WILSON
    Participant

Okay, I did that. I got back into WordPress, but I still have the warning below, and I still have a 500 server error with no site showing.

Root Folder BulletProof Mode protection activated successfully.
    Default WordPress Rewrite htaccess code has been added to BPS Custom Code.
    The BPS plugin already uses/has Default WordPress Rewrite code. Delete the Default WordPress Rewrite htaccess code shown below from the CUSTOM CODE text box were it was added and click the Save Root Custom Code button.

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Oops left out a step.  Delete this file first:  /wp-content/bps-backup/autorestore/root-files/auto_.htaccess and then delete the .htaccess file in your WordPress installation folder (same folder as your wp-config.php file).  You may also have to rename the W3TC plugin folder under your WordPress /plugins/ folder, but just try deleting the htaccess files first before doing that.

GAYNOR WILSON
    Participant

Never mind I deleted the plugin and my site is back.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

If you are looking for a great caching plugin that is easy to setup and works right out of the box then I recommend Comet Cache:  https://wordpress.org/plugins/comet-cache/

GAYNOR WILSON
    Participant

Thanks but that’s why I have W3TC for the caching. I added iTheme for the Security.  I prefer yours but it is very fragile.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Oh you deleted BPS Pro.  Nope, BPS Pro is very powerful/strong/robust, but there are known complications with both W3TC and WPSC setups depending on which settings you choose in those plugins.  If you follow the setup steps in the link I posted above you should be able to get W3TC setup without breaking everything. 😉

GAYNOR WILSON
    Participant

I most likely will break something so I will stick with the other plugins. Thanks for your help.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.