All Plugin Files quarantined

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro All Plugin Files quarantined

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Paul D.
    Participant

Issue/Problem:  All plugins are showing as deactivated.  All plugin files have been sent to Quarantine.

Obsolete/outdated info deleted – see BPS Pro XTF

Is this still applicable ? Just need to verify before I do anything.

Thanks

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Important Note: If you have BPS Pro 12.8 or higher versions of BPS Pro installed click this link for quickier and easier steps to fix quarantined files problems: https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/website-not-loading-after-wordpress-upgrade-or-theme-upgrade-500-error-files-quarantined/. BPS Pro 12.8+ versions automatically deactivate/turn ARQ Off when the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder is renamed instead of having to use the BPS Pro XTF Form Tools to deactivate/turn ARQ Off.

Update: Newer method/tool:

BPS Pro Xternal Tools (XTF) are intended to be used when you are unable to login to your website to fix an issue/problem.  You can turn Off BPS Pro features using the XTF Form options without having to be logged into your website.

BPS Pro Xternal Tools (XTF) Guide
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/xternal-tools-xtf-guide/

BPS Pro Xternal Tools (XTF) Video Tutorial
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/video-tutorials/#xternal-tools

The arqdelete.php script method is difficult for most folks to understand.  A simpler method is to do this instead.

Source:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#ARQ-Troubleshooting

Simple Method of turning Off / deactivating AutoRestore if you choose not to use the arqdelete.php script or the arqdelete.php script is not working on your website.

1.  Use FTP or your Web Host Control Panel File Manager and rename the /bulletproof-security plugin folder.
    2.  Log into your website and go to the WordPress Plugins page.  This forces the BulletProof Security Pro plugin to be deactivated.
    3.  Using FTP or your Web Host Control Panel File Manager, rename the /bulletproof-security plugin folder back to its original folder name.
    4.  Activate the BulletProof Security Pro plugin – AutoRestore is turned Off / deactivated by doing the steps above.
    5.  You can then go to Quarantine and restore files if you need to restore files.
    6.  You can then run the Pre-Installation Wizard and Setup Wizard again or go to AutoRestore and do the AutoRestore manual setup steps.

Note:  If BPS Pro plugin files were also quarantined then delete the /bulletproof-security plugin folder and reinstall the BulletProof Security zip file using the WordPress upload zip installer.

Paul D.
    Participant

I tried arqdelete  method at least twice but I will go with your recommendation. It’s easier that way. Thanks Ed!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The #1 cause of this problem is this >>> Installing WordPress plugin updates at the same time as a BPS Pro update.  We added code in BPS Pro 8.2 to block this from being allowed in BPS Pro 8.2 and all future BPS Pro versions.  BPS Pro plugin updates should be installed separately using the BPS Pro plugin update link on the WordPress Plugins page.

BPS Pro upgrades are here:  api.ait-pro.com
    WordPress plugins are here:  downloads.wordpress.org

Installing plugin updates from 2 different API Servers on the Internet will obviously lead to problems.  BPS Pro is designed to turn AutoRestore Off and On as needed.  During an update a lot of things have to happen in a logical sequence and installing BPS Pro at the same time as plugins from the WordPress Plugin Repository at the same time breaks that logical sequence.  Personally I would never install more than 1 plugin at any time.  Old school MCSE/Microsoft ingrained good/safe application installation practices. ;)

Before you turn AutoRestore back on check your AutoRestore Folder Exclude rules on the Exclude Dynamic Folders – Temp/Cache page.  If you have an invalid rule it can cause this problem.

Examples of CORRECT Paths to Exclude: These folder paths are CORRECT because they are not full website paths to these folders and they do not contain /wp-content in the path and they do not start or end with forward slashes. If you have a backup plugin that is creating dynamically named backup files you can also use this option to exclude that backup folder from being checked.

CORRECT: plugins
    CORRECT: plugins/example-plugin/captcha/temp
    CORRECT: themes/example-theme/cache
    CORRECT: my-backups-folder (do not include /wp-content in the /wp-content/my-backups-folder folder path)

Examples of INCORRECT Paths to Exclude: These folder paths are INCORRECT because they are full website paths to these folders and they contain /wp-content in the path and they start or end with forward slashes.

INCORRECT: /plugins
    INCORRECT: /xxxxx/xxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/example-plugin/captcha/temp/
    INCORRECT: /xxxxx/xxxxx/public_html/wp-content/themes/example-theme/cache/
    INCORRECT: /wp-content/themes/example-theme/cache/

Paul D.
    Participant

I installed the latest BPS Pro version and after installing, tried to  restore quarantined files. Any steps I need to do to enable it to restore those files ?  I only did 2 things before this happened. Installed and activated Uji Plugin http://wordpress.org/plugins/uji-countdown and right away updated BPS.

The dashboard went blank and displayed “You don’t have permission to acccess this page”. So I renamed entire plugins folder, I was able to access dashboard, so I renamed the plugins folder back to original. Then I installed the latest BPS Pro and attempted restore.

Here’s the current Status of  BPS
    AutoRestore/Quarantine Status: Off || Firewall Status: On || UAEG Status: On || Login Security Status: On || JTC Anti-Spam Status: On and the 1st 4 files in File Lock are Locked.

Please guide. Thanks !

Paul D.
    Participant

The #1 cause of this problem is this >>> Installing WordPress plugin updates at the same time as a BPS Pro update.  We added code in BPS Pro 8.2 to block this from being allowed in BPS Pro 8.2 and all future BPS Pro versions.  BPS Pro plugin updates should be installed separately using the BPS Pro plugin update link on the WordPress Plugins page.

BPS Pro upgrades are here:  api.ait-pro.com
    WordPress plugins are here:  downloads.wordpress.org

Installing plugin updates from 2 different API Servers on the Internet will obviously lead to problems.  BPS Pro is designed to turn AutoRestore Off and On as needed.  During an update a lot of things have to happen in a logical sequence and installing BPS Pro at the same time as plugins from the WordPress Plugin Repository at the same time breaks that logical sequence.  Personally I would never install more than 1 plugin at any time.  Old school MCSE/Microsoft ingrained good/safe application installation practices. 😉

That’s exactly what I did ! Ouch !  Now I know. Lesson learned . So what can I do to fix this ? Since it won’t allow me to restore quarantined files ?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

If the Dashboard goes blank when restoring plugin files then 1 of those plugins has dependent files and that plugin’s files will need to be deleted from Quarantine instead of restoring that plugin’s files and then you would just reinstall that particular plugin.

It would probably be simpler and quicker just to restore your site files back to your last file backup – not your database – just files.  Do you have a recent file backup?  Or just use your Host’s file backup and restore just the /plugins folder.

Paul D.
    Participant

Problem solved. 1 Click Restore of  Site Files and Database. Done  in  less than 15 seconds.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, much simpler and quicker for this particular scenario.  This scenario cannot happen in BPS Pro 8.2 and future versions. BPS Pro will no longer show up/be displayed on the WordPress Updates page and is literally removed from the array of plugins that are seen as having an update available.

Lys
    Participant

Hi & thx ahead for your assist –

We just attempted to update to latest BPS Pro version & had massive amounts of files placed in quarantine. In process of restoring files our server cut off permissions (probably due to their server concerns). This unfortunately caused all kinds of files to go missing including the complete file for BPS Pro plugin & many others. Now we’re in process of doing a complete backup restore via our shost.

Question is: What did we do wrong in our update? We did turn all plugins off except BPS Pro and sitemap plugins.
    Thanks for educating us & all dummies out there.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Lys – Your post has been merged into this Topic.  I assume that this issue was caused by updating BPS Pro at the same time as other WordPress plugins?

Lys
    Participant

Thx. Not sure this issue is related though. No other plugin updates were in process. Trying now to figure out what caused so many files to go in quarantine using WP dashboard update process. Ideas? Should we use update link in email notice instead?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

As of BPS Pro 8.2 the only place BPS Pro can be updated within the WP Dashboard will be on the WordPress Plugins page with the update now link next to the BPS Pro plugin.  We have added code in BPS Pro 8.2 to prevent BPS Pro from displaying or being installable on the WordPress Updates page since this typically leads to this problem – all plugin files (and sometimes additional/other files) being sent to Quarantine.

Did you do the update from BPS Pro 8.1 to 8.2 on the WordPress Updates page or by clicking the update now link on the WordPress Plugins page?

Tony Payne
    Participant

I’m not sure what has happened to my site and exactly why, but all the files in wp-content have suddenly disappeared.  The folder structure is still there, however other than in the bps-backup folder, the olny files that remain are .htaccess and sub-folders. The history (to the best of my recollection) is that yesterday I published a new post and also updated 4 plugins. I made sure to turn off cron before I updated them, and the bps backups and cron activation were done successfully. Last night I found I could not access my home page when not logged in, and I managed to resolve this by changing the settings for wp-super-cache to not cache anything.  That seemed to work. I logged in now and found that more backup files had been quarantined.  I use backupwordpress to save data/files, and it sometimes varies the backup folder name.   I added this folder to the exclude list, and the next thing I knew I was getting error msg’s and all my plugins disappeared. I assume these files are all in quarantine, but as my site only shows the bare dashboard with no plugins and no themes, I’m not sure where best to begin. I had excluded the Themes and Plugins from Autorestore, so this just contains bare folders, no content. Fortunately the root folder, wp-includes and wp-admin appear to be intact. Question is, how can I best fix this? My thoughts are to re-install 3.8.1 from the dashboard, then to install BPS Pro, then to re-install the Plugins again manually. I know the content ought to be in the Autorestore/Quarantine folders, but it might be best to begin again. Any thoughts please.  I don’t know why this occurred, but I was planning to upgrade my other sites and don’t want to suffer the same fate.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Tony Payne – probably the simplest and quickest thing is to restore your website files from backup and delete all files in Quarantine.  DO NOT restore your WordPress Database and ONLY restore website files.  There are a couple of causes for this issue/problem and they are listed above in this Forum Topic.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.