Quarantine 500 Error

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Quarantine 500 Error

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Larry Berger
    Participant

Hi,

I just tried to upgrade my BPS Pro plugin, and it appears to have quarantined all of my BPS files, and now I can’t get to my admin pages (or website). This happened a few months ago, even though there is an exclusion rule for plug-ins. I checked your site and found the instructions for deleting the auto-restore database with arqdelete. This went fine, and I restored the BPS files to the plugins directory, but after that I am getting error 500 when trying to access anything. Tried deleting and/or restoring htaccess files to no avail. Site: larrybergerphotography.com.

Thanks, Larry

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

This is a very old forum topic:
    Important Note: If you have BPS Pro 12.8 or higher versions of BPS Pro installed click this link for quickier and easier steps to fix quarantined files problems: https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/website-not-loading-after-wordpress-upgrade-or-theme-upgrade-500-error-files-quarantined/. BPS Pro 12.8+ versions automatically deactivate/turn ARQ Off when the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder is renamed instead of having to use the BPS Pro XTF Form Tools to deactivate/turn ARQ Off.

If BPS Pro plugin files are being quarantined when upgrading BPS Pro then either the ARQ plugins exclude rule is not correct or something is preventing the ARQ plugins folder exclude rule from working.

1.  FTP to your website and delete the /bulletproof-security plugin folder.  You should be able to login to your site now.
    2.  Use the WordPress Upload Zip installer to install the latest BPS Pro zip file, which is BPS Pro 6.5.
    3.  Go to the new Setup Wizard menu/page and run the Pre-installation Wizard and then the Setup Wizard.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Once you get back into your website post all of your Exclude Dynamic Folders exclude rules.

Larry Berger
    Participant

Thank you for your timely response. I have deleted the bulletproof-security folder again and this is the error I receive when trying to access the site:
    The website encountered an error while retrieving larrybergerphotography.com. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.
    Error code: 500

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Did you also upgrade WordPress to 3.6?

Larry Berger
    Participant

No, I was getting ready to do so but did not. v3.5.2

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

hmm odd.  The only thing left that could be causing a 500 error would be the root .htaccess file or the wp-admin .htaccess file.  Delete both of them using FTP and see if you can login.

Larry Berger
    Participant

I just tried renaming both of those files (to .htaccess.current) and I am still not able to access the site….I am doing everything in the public_html directory…I am not an expert but am trying to make sure I am following the directions correctly.

Thanks

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok then what must have happened is that another plugin that has dependent files must have also had its plugin files sent to quarantine.  Rename the /plugins folder to /plugins-hold.  Let me know if you can login at this point.

Larry Berger
    Participant

That did the trick – I can now get into the admin section of the site. I know that some other plugins were quarantined – I viewed the quarantine log. Next steps?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok now we need to figure out which plugin has dependent files.  Use FTP and manually look at your Quarantine log file here /wp-content/bps-backup/logs/autorestore_log.txt.  What you will then do is go to your /plugins folder and rename any plugin folder names that are listed in the Quarantine log file as having files sent to Quarantine and you will rename each of those plugin folders to /plugin-folder-name-hold. Hopefully this is only a couple of plugins.  The end goal is this.  You want to be able to rename the /plugins-hold folder back to /plugins so that you can get into BPS Pro Quarantine and restore plugin files, but whichever plugin has dependent files cannot have its folder name renamed back to its original name because your site will crash again.  This plugin folder will need to be deleted completely and you will need to reinstall that plugin in your WordPress Dashboard.  When you delete a plugin’s files you do NOT lose your database settings or any other settings for a plugin so doing a reinstall of a plugin just creates new plugin files and will not wipe out that plugins database settings.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The simplest way to figure out which plugin has the dependent files is to rename each plugins folder back to its original name one by one.  When your site crashes that is the plugin folder that will have to be deleted and that plugin will have to be reinstalled again.

Larry Berger
    Participant

Okay – I have restored the name of the plug-in folder, and renamed all the directories mentioned in the quarantine log file (about 10 or so). I have also put back the htaccess files. BPS pro is up and running. All of my plugins are currently disabled, but my website appears with limited functionality. So, next step is to restore all quarantined files and then activate the plugins? Or reinstall them from the dashboard as you mentioned?

Thanks for sticking with me on this….

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yes, the next step is to go to Quarantine and select the Restore check all checkbox and restore all files from Quarantine.  And I totally forgot about the trick that if you rename the /plugins folder and go to your WordPress Plugins page then yep all plugins will be deactivated.  So what that means is that you will not have to reinstall any plugins at all or manually delete any plugin folders.  Once you have restored all files from Quarantine then yep activate all of your plugins.

Once that is done then I want to double check that your ARQ folder exclude rules are all good.  Post all of your AutoRestore Exclude Dynamic Folders exclude rules.

Larry Berger
    Participant

Renamed the plug-in folders from “hold” back to normal, then restored from quarantine. Site 500’d again, so took your advice and renamed w3-cache and backupbuddy (and possibly 1 more) and the site is back up, was able to activate most plugins. So, site in fair shape, will work more on it later. Autorestore is still off, once things look better will take snapshot of the 4 auto-restore buttons and hopefully be reset at a good point. When should I do the 3.6 upgrade?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.