Quarantine 500 Error

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Quarantine 500 Error

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The most likely plugin that is causing this is going to be W3TC.  A couple of other people have mentioned scenarios very similar to this one in the past couple of months.  If you want to confirm this then just rename the w3tc plugin folder and see if the site crashes.  If so, then delete the w3tc plugin folder and reinstall w3tc again.  You will not lose your w3tc settings by doing this.

I would still like to double check your ARQ exclude rules so post all of your AutoRestore Exclude Dynamic Folders exclude rules.

You can do the WP 3.6 upgrade now if you want.  Just remember to click all 4 Backup Files buttons after installing the WP 3.6 upgrade.  You will see a couple of php errors after the WP upgrade, which you can disregard.  These are completely normal.  WP needs to unlock and write to some files: index.php and wp-blog-header.php so you just need to clear the php error alert after the WP 3.6 upgrade.

Larry Berger
    Participant

Excludes are as follows:
    gallery/cache
    plugins

Thanks,
    Larry   (still working on getting the rest of the system recovered, had my computer crash due to a RAM failure, that slowed me down…..

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok great on the Exclude rules.  And yep, those exclude rules are good.  I made a mistake in this forum link below and said that exclude rule was ok and it was not:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/plug-ins-missing-after-w3tc-error/#post-4164 .  Sorry about that.

Bummer on the computer problems.  They can be very frustrating.

Larry Berger
    Participant

Well, it had been running fine for a few days, but I started getting some quarantines on gallery thumbnails being created by Nextgen Gallery. These were in a folder under each gallery labeled /dynamic. Could not figure out how to apply a single rule to cover all 30 or so of my galleries. But at that time I did add exclude rules for my backup directories, which up to now had not caused any quarantine problems, but I wanted to be safe. Went to look at my site a short while ago and it is completely gone again (from the user and admin point of view). Looks to have many items quarantined, so I will need to start recovery over again. BTW, after last issue I deleted W3-cache as I thought it might be triggering the issue.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Typically you would create an exclude rule for the folder that the galleries are in.  What is the folder path to the galleries?  Also you want to make absolutely sure you are creating valid folder exclude rules based on the Examples on the Exclude Dynamic Folders page.  Creating an invalid exclude rule can break all of the other exclude rules depending on how invalid that rule is.  If it is just slightly invalid/incorrect (adding a slash here or there that should not be there) then it will not break other exclude rules.  If it is drastically invalid/incorrect (doing something like this:  http: //mywebsite/path to galleries) then it will break other exclude rules

Exclude Temp/Cache/Backup Folder Path Examples
    Temp Folder Path Example: plugins/example-plugin/captcha/temp
    Cache Folder Path Example: themes/example-theme/cache
    Backup Folder Path Example (in the wp-content folder): backup-folder-name

The Wudman
    Participant

Just had this trash a client site.
    – turned of auto cron and updated 3.6 no prob
    – updated Cart66 Pro – quarantined a ton of files, restored, no prob
    – updated Sucuri Malware scan – quarantined a ton of files – now looking at 500 error

Will follow this fix and which means unbillable hour re-installing and configuring BPS-Pro and just glad I am doing this at oh-dark thirty on pot of very black coffee with a client that is asleep and no one trying to make a purchase

I am thinking that after I get the site restored, I will be reconsidering BPS Pro quarantine feature on this site.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I do not see that you clicked the AutoRestore Backup Files buttons before turning AutoRestore back on.  You can also now use the Pre-installation Wizard and Setup Wizard at any time:  new installations, old installations, anytime.  The Pre-installation and Setup Wizards can be run at anytime and will automatically correct any mistakes if they exist or if you previously installed an older version of BPS Pro that did not have the Pre-installation and Setup Wizards then you can run the new Wizards at any time and over and over again.

One of the many things that the Setup Wizards do automatically is to create AutoRestore Exclude rules and backs up all files that need to be backed up and automatically turns AutoRestore back on AFTER verifiying file backups are good and it is ok to turn AutoRestore back on.  In other words, the Wizards do what a human would do, but without the possibility of making any errors.

Additional Help References
    AutoRestore/Quarantine Guide
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/

AutoRestore/Quarantine Calibration and Setup Wizard, etc Video Tutorials
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/video-tutorials/

The Wudman
    Participant

I did turn the AutoRestore back on after updating 3.6.1 following the prompt. But at this point, am hoping to rename the folders since deleting the last update folder, (Sucuri) and BPS folder, with no luck. This rules as an epic fail and if by any chance this has punked the Cart66Pro folder, will cause me to relegate BPS-Pro to the museum of plugins not to be ever used in a client site. (or charge something incredible to the client so as to be covered just in case “quarantine” chews up a site because of a plugin update.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

This is a very old forum topic:
    Important Note: If you have BPS Pro 12.8 or higher versions of BPS Pro installed click this link for quickier and easier steps to fix quarantined files problems: https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/website-not-loading-after-wordpress-upgrade-or-theme-upgrade-500-error-files-quarantined/. BPS Pro 12.8+ versions automatically deactivate/turn ARQ Off when the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder is renamed instead of having to use the BPS Pro XTF Form Tools to deactivate/turn ARQ Off.

I did turn the AutoRestore back on after updating 3.6.1 following the prompt.

Did you click the 4 AutoRestore Backup Files buttons BEFORE turning AutoRestore back on?  We tested installing the WP 3.6.1 update (like we do with all WP updates) without turning off AutoRestore.  You can recover from this mistake by restoring the WP Core files from Quarantine.  Some WordPress updates will cause the site to crash if the standard AutoRestore procedural steps are not followed since some WordPress version updates will contain updates to dependent WP Core files.  It is recommended that the standard AutoRestore procedurally steps are always followed when doing WordPress version updates.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/

AutoRestore/Quarantine Ongoing Procedural Steps (a small price to pay for absolute peace of mind)

When updating or installing plugins (see ARQ and the Plugin Firewall Recommended Usage), themes or WordPress itself or if uploading files to your website follow these simple procedural steps for AutoRestore/Quarantine (ARQ).

1. Turn off ARQ.
    2. Install / update / upgrade plugins, themes, WordPress itself or upload files to your website.
    3. Click the appropriate Backup Files button: Root Files, wp-admin Files, wp-includes Files or wp-content Files (If you are upgrading WordPress itself then you MUST click all 4 Backup Files buttons).
    4. Turn ARQ back On.

Yes, it is possible that something outside of BPS Pro (another plugin, a Server hiccup, some other random issue/problem) can affect or cause AutoRestore to malfunction, but not very likely.  In any case, if you follow the standard AutoRestore/Quarantine procedural steps and files were still quarantined then please let us know all the exact specific details involved so that we can see if there is some unknown issue that we are not aware of.

The Wudman
    Participant

Now this is just plain insane as following the same situation does not yield a site restore. The site is still junked completely out after renaming the plugin folder “plugins-hold” which rates having BPS Pro in the site an “epic fail of the grandest proportions” due to simply updating a plugin and then using AutoRestore to unquarantine the files. Been around plugin conflicts, but this is the mother of all of them right now.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Here is list of AutoRestore/Quarantine troubleshooting scenarios and solutions

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#ARQ-Troubleshooting

I am not sure exactly sure which mistake you made, but if you would like for me to login and tell you which mistake you made and get the site back where it was then please send me an FTP login and the WordPress Admin login to this site.

The BPS Pro logs log everything and getting the site back where it was is very simple and quick by following and using the AutoRestore troubleshooting steps based on the particular mistake that was made.  Normally these types of issues can be fixed in around 5-10 minutes.

The Wudman
    Participant

At this point I would appreciate any help as opposed using blunt force trauma, “host site restore” or some other expression that resembles Brandon whining “STELLA”..
    where do I send the appropriate information?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

There is another factor to consider that can cause this.  If a plugin has dependent files and they are coded (poorly coded) in a way that does not check for a missing file then restoring that particular plugin’s files will cause a site to crash.  We are aware of 3 plugins that do this out of 1,000’s due to coding mistakes in those plugins.  We have created coding in BPS Pro to compenstate for the coding mistakes in those plugins.  So it is very likely that we will have to create additional coding in BPS Pro to compensate for whichever plugin has this same type of coding mistake.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Send the login info directly to Ed’s email address:  edward [at] ait-pro [dot] com.  Thanks.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ed has received the login info and has deleted the personal comment from the Forum site.  He will be logging in shortly.  Thanks.
    Pending User Resolution via Host Chat:  Problem with FTP login account setup

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.