error_log – error log file being quarantined

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro error_log – error log file being quarantined

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

UPDATE:  Click this link:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/v9-2-error/page/3/#post-26297 for the steps to exclude error_log files from being checked by AutoRestore|Quarantine and repeatedly quarantined.

Ok, but that is not normal/correct.  You should NOT have multiple error logs throughout your website folders and should ONLY have 1 error log.

And actually it looks like you have a bigger problem going on since when you are clicking buttons you are being redirected instead of what should be happening.  Something is breaking BPS Pro functionality on your website.  I see that you are using CloudFlare.  Are you caching your WordPress backend with CloudFlare? There is a setting that allows you to do that in CloudFlare so if you are using that setting then change that. That is a known problem that will break BPS Pro and other plugin’s functionality.

Another possibility is that the Plugin Firewall is not getting the correct CloudFlare X-Forwarded-For IP address.  Try deactivating the Plugin Firewall and see if you can delete or restore a file from Quarantine.

If none of these things work above then I will need to login to this website to see what is causing these problems.  Let me know what happens after doing these things above.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The actual php error is caused by this below.  The solution appears to be changing the order of the modules in your php.ini file.

https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=61196&edit=1

I found the issue, is related to the loading order of mysql modules.
    If you load mysql.so or mysqli.so before mysqlnd.so, you will get this error. The solution is to rename the modules, so they are loaded into correct order, i.e.:
    mysql.so > mysqlnd_mysql.so
    mysqli.so > mysqlnd_mysqli.so
    pdo_mysql.so > pdo_mysqlnd.so

Then, PHP will load the modules into proper order:
    mysqlnd.so
    mysqlnd_mysql.so
    mysqlnd_mysqli.so
    pdo_mysqlnd.so

This is an ugly workaround, the proper solution is when you --enable-mysqlnd, the modules should be automatically renamed at build time for sanity reasons. Further more, we could define a specific loading order, something like:
    50_mysqlnd.so
    60_mysql.so
    70_mysqli.so
    80_pdo_mysqlnd.so
    rock
    Participant

I got this: Searched “/home/xxxxx/public_html/xxxxx/wp-content/plugins” for string “error_log”:
    No results returned

Is this error Host related? I’m on a shared hosting and have no access to php.ini. Am I correct to say this can only be fixed in php.ini?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok so it does not appear that the problem is originating from a plugin then.  Most likely this is php.ini file configuration problem or some other Host Server issue/problem.  Check with your Host and ask them if they are creating the error_log files in your wp-content and wp-admin folders and if so then ask them is they will fix that issue/problem.

Most Hosts do allow you to create a custom php.ini file for your website with Shared Hosting, but a custom php.ini file is NOT a “one-size fits all” kind of thing.  In order to create a custom  php.ini file you need to know all the specific and unique requirements that your web host has for creating custom php.ini files.  There are hundreds if not thousands of different custom php.ini differences/possibilities.  Which web host do you have?

rock
    Participant

It’s a local host in my country – philwebservices. I’ll go ask them what they can do with PHP.ini. Thanks a lot for your help. Just looking back, would deactivating and reactivating BPS clear the quarantine or it would just continue to quarantine the error_log?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

BPS Pro is a very advanced plugin (similar to/modeled like a Microsoft, Adobe or other type of application/software) so no deactivating and activating BPS Pro does not do anything in regards to troubleshooting.  Each feature in BPS Pro can be turned On or Off.  BPS Pro troubleshooting steps are listed in the link below.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-pro/#bps-pro-general-troubleshooting

The biggest problem at this point is BPS Pro is not functioning correctly.  ie clicking Form buttons is redirecting you instead of completing the Form’s task.  That problem needs to figured out first before anything else.  It is possible that all of these problems are due to a PHP Server configuration problem.  ie the php error indicating a module is not compiled correctly or loading in the correct order.  multiple error_logs are being generated per directory instead of 1 php error log.  BPS Pro form functionality is broken/not working.

rock
    Participant

Ok then, I’ll get back to you when I get an answer from them. I’ll just turn-off ARQ for the moment. Thanks a lot for your help :).

rock
    Participant

I already asked my hosting provider some assistance with this issue. Just to clear it up, I made a mistake when I typed /plugin folder in String Search Path, it should be /plugin/. Apologies. Here is the result just so you can check. Thanks! It’s a bit long.

/home/xxxx/public_html/xxxx/wp-content/plugins/timthumb-vulnerability-scanner/cg-tvs-timthumb-latest.txt, line 1125
    error_log("TimThumb Debug line " . __LINE__ . " [$execTime : $tick]: $msg");

/home/xxxx/public_html/xxxx/wp-content/plugins/cloudflare/cloudflare.php, line 207
    error_log($result->get_error_message());
    /home/xxxx/public_html/xxxx/wp-content/plugins/cloudflare/cloudflare.php, line 388
    /home/xxxx/public_html/xxxx/wp-content/plugins/cloudflare/cloudflare.php, line 412
    /home/xxxx/public_html/xxxx/wp-content/plugins/cloudflare/cloudflare.php, line 430

/home/xxxx/public_html/xxxx/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-file-monitor-plus/readme.txt, line 74
    = My website has error_log files that are always changing. How do I get WPFMP to ignore them? =
    /home/xxxx/public_html/xxxx/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-file-monitor-plus/readme.txt, line 76
    In settings you can add error_log to 'File Names To Ignore' if you want to ignore the error_log file in any directory or add 
    /full/path/to/error_log to 'Exact Files To Ignore' if you just want to ignore one perticular error log

/home/xxxx/public_html/xxxx/wp-content/plugins/cms-tree-page-view/functions.php, line 1865
    #error_log("tree: setup defaults, beacuse db version less than 0");

/home/xxxx/public_html/xxxx/wp-content/plugins/broken-link-checker/includes/logger.php, line 154
    error_log($line, 3, $this->fileName);
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

UPDATE:  Click this link:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/v9-2-error/page/3/#post-26297 for the steps to exclude error_log files from being checked by AutoRestore|Quarantine and repeatedly quarantined.

I deleted any search results that could not be a possibility above.  ARQ is a file monitor and quite a bit more then just a simple file monitor so you would not need to also have the WordPress File Monitor Plus plugin installed.  CloudFlare is not a simple thing to turn on or off so this is the logical step that I would take to see if any of these plugins are creating the multiple error log files:

Deactivate these plugins:  timthumb-vulnerability-scanner, wordpress-file-monitor-plus, broken-link-checker

Also I just thought of a reason why you were being redirected when clicking the Quarantine delete and restore buttons.  On some hosts depending on how PHP processing is configured, file names without a file extension are not seen as valid files.  This is pretty rare, but I have come across this issue before. So that is a possibility that could be confirmed by quarantining a file with a normal file extension to see if it can be restored and deleted correctly.  Then you would know that the issue is isolated to files without valid file extensions.

When excluding error_log files that do not have a valid file extension name then the sequence of how you create the exclude rules for these individual files is very important.

AutoRestore MUST be turned off first.
    The error_log files MUST actually exist in these folder locations.  ie /wp-content/error_log and /wp-admin/error_log
    You can then use the Single File Exclude Form tool to create the exclude rules for each of these files.
    Then copy each of these files to their respective /bps-backup/autorestore/wp-content/error_log and /wp-admin/error_log AutoRestore folders.
    After all of these steps are done in this exact sequence you can then turn AutoRestore back on.
    On most Servers these steps will keep ARQ from checking or quarantining these files, but on some servers this may not work depending on how the PHP server is configured to handle files without valid file extension names.

Additional description, help info and steps:
    Additional video tutorial for reference on creating AutoRestore folder and file exclude rules:
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/video-tutorials/#autorestore-quarantine

Do these steps to create an AutoRestore single file exclude rule to not check this generic php error log file: error_log
    1. Turn Off AutoRestore. AutoRestore MUST be turned off first.
    2. Copy the error_log path information that you see in Quarantine to a text file on your computer for reference and use later in these steps.
    3. Restore the error_log file in Quarantine.
    4. Go to AutoRestore and use the Single File Exclude Form tool to create a single file exclude rule for the error_log file. Use the path that you saved to the text file on your computer for the single file exclude rule path.
    5. Then copy the error_log file from the website folder where you restored the error_log file too and save that copy of the error_log file to a matching /bps-backup/autorestore/ folder. Most likely it will be this folder if the error_log file is in your website root folder: /bps-backup/autorestore/root-files/. The other folders are /wp-admin/, /wp-content/, /wp-includes/. You would only copy the error_log file to the matching respective /bps-backup/autorestore/ folder and not any other /bps-backup/ folders.
    6. After all of these steps are done in this exact sequence you can then turn AutoRestore back on.

On most Servers these steps will keep ARQ from checking or quarantining these files, but on some servers this may not work depending on how the PHP server is configured to handle files without valid file extension names.

rock
    Participant

Hi, sorry I fell asleep. Anyway, the Host upgraded my PHP to 5.6 from 5.4 and the error_log is no longer reappearing. Should I still deactivate these three: timthumb-vulnerability-scanner, wordpress-file-monitor-plus, broken-link-checker?

It seems that it is totally related to PHP 5.4 bug that you mentioned. I got ARQ back on and the quarantined folders are now completely deleted wihout redirecting to my homepage. I have no PHP or Security errors. No error_log at all in Cpanel.

If you have no other instructions, please consider this issue resolved. I appreciate your help, great support!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Great!  And nope you do not need to do anything else since the issue/problem did turn out to be a server issue afterall and that is now taken care of.

There is one thing you should do in regards to 1 of your installed plugins and that is to delete the WordPress File Monitor Plus plugin.  AutoRestore/Quarantine is an Intrusion Detection and Prevention System (IDPS) file monitor with file autorestore and quarantine capability so it would be silly to keep using the WordPress File Monitor Plugin plugin since ARQ is already doing what that plugin can do and a whole lot more.

rock
    Participant

Hi, sorry I took some time to make a reply as I was checking some issues. The old error_log is now gone. But a new one reappeared, I can now delete files that are quarantined but they just keep on being re-quarantined. FYI, only the wp-admin folder is spewing out the “error_log”, the wordpress folder is no longer making any error_log at all.

Exclusion as expected does not work, the autorestore exclusion is not working for error_log (no extension files?). And trying to copy the error_log to the autorestore wp-admin equivalent folder does not work too. Tried to deactivate autorestore, copied error_log to autorestore folder equivalent, backed-up wp-admin folder, reset last modified time in db, then reactivated autorestore. In a minute the error_log is back and re-quarantined continuously. The error_log says:

[30-Sep-2014 11:38:07 ] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0

I also removed the wordpress file monitor plugin. I just want you to see what’s happening just in case it happens to someone else that might also need a fix. I’m communicating with my Host regarding this issue and they also told me that I can use custom php.ini. However, to be honest, I don’t know where I can place a PHP.ini file. I’ll get back to you when I receive a message from them. Thanks a lot for your help. 🙂

rock
    Participant

It seems the error_log is no longer reappearing for a day. ARQ is relatively calm. Everything seems green and good. It might be completely related to a bug from PHP 5.6. The Host downgraded to 5.5 and voila! no more error log. Consider this issue resolved then.

Thanks a lot for your assistance. Great support! 🙂

mikec45011
    Participant

I am getting this in my quarantine constantly, every minute or two, and it is creating a ton of emails.  I have done the part where I turn off the ARQ cron check, restore the file, make the exclude rule, and then reset the date/time modified, and then turn the cron back on. Still doesn’t work. How do I fix this?
    /home/riversed/public_html/error_log

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Try also manually copying this file to this folder:  /wp-content/bps-backup/autorestore/root-files/

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.