Script|File Owner User ID Mismatch Notice on all sites but no mismatches

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Script|File Owner User ID Mismatch Notice on all sites but no mismatches

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Jaiji
    Participant

Hi

I’m getting Script|File Owner User ID Mismatch Notice on all of my 50 sites, but when I check the System Info page (only checked a few so far) they all match. Any ideas? Can I just dismiss the notice?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I’d like to see your File|Folder Permissions (CGI or DSO)|Script Owner User ID (UID)|File Owner User ID table info for one of your sites.  Either copy and paste that in your forum reply or send it in an email to:  info at ait-pro dot com.

Jaiji
    Participant

I’ve worked out what’s wrong with the sites which are showing the notification. The BPS backup folder location for some sites is set to the wrong directory, a leftover from migrating sites to new URLs. I use All In One Migration to move sites which has the option to find/replace URLs. I usually only tell it to replace the full site URL, but, until now, not the server path – I think BPS is the only plugin I use which requires that. I’ve just done a complete BPS reinstall on two of the problematic sites and it’s all good. Sorry to have troubled you.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Great!  Adding the new Script|File Owner User ID Mismatch Notice check has already paid off. 😉

Note: BPS uses the standard WP constants (ABSPATH, WP_PLUGIN_DIR, WP_CONTENT_DIR) and functions (get_home_path(), wp_upload_dir()) to get folder and file paths, which all other plugins and themes that deal with folder and file paths should also be using.

Living Miracles
    Participant

Today we noticed that we had this same issue on a handful of our sites but we were able to easily and simply resolve this thanks to this forum topic. 🙏🏼

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

A few people have run into a problem with the DB backup folder having a different Script|File Owner User ID.  The quickest way to fix this problem is to use the DB Backup > Create Backup Jobs Accordion Tab/button > Rename|Create|Reset Tool.  The Rename|Create|Reset Tool renames the DB Backup folder, which corrects the Script|File Owner User ID problem.  The root cause of the problem occurs when someone does a website move/migration/clone.  I’ll automate a fix for this or add additional help info in the BPS Mismatch Notice.

If you have never used the DB Backup feature then create a test manual DB Backup Job with default Backup Job option settings just to get rid of the Script|File Owner User ID Mismatch Notice.

If you unable to create a test manual DB Backup Job then the DB Backup folder is corrupt and needs to be deleted using FTP. A new DB Backup folder will automatically be created by BPS. That should automatically fix this problem.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I came across another scenario.  The DB Backup folder had folder permissions of: 0.  The normal folder permissions should be 0755.  0 folder permission typically means the folder is corrupt and needs to be deleted.  BPS automatically creates a new DB Backup folder if a DB Backup folder does not exist.

A.
    Participant

Hi, I have also got the message about the mismatch, but none is visiable. The only thing is that the table says that there is a /tmp folder in the root directory like this:

Recommended Permissions: —
    Current Permissions: 1777

Script Owner User ID (UID): 0
    File Owner User ID: 0

Such a folder is not to be seen, though. I then created one (my server told me there was already a folder of that name, but, still, afterwards a /tmp showed as if it was created today. Afterwards, I deleted it again.

The message remained.

I also deleted the backup folder multiple times. It did not help. Before, I had actually deleted and then installed BPS anew, which did also not help.

(Before, after updating WordPress and various plugins, there had been some other errors after using MSCAN – at first, a “critical error”, which actually made me reinstall BPS, then, I could not activate BPS, due to a parser error, if I recall correctly, which seemed to be linked to a file in the backup folder in the themes-hashes folder, I think, which actually prevented me from activating BPS until I deleted the original backup folder, as I did not want to look into the parser error further. Perhaps it is unrelated, I just mention it to give the full picture.).

Should I just dismiss the notice (although you said one ought not to, and resolve it instead? Everything seems to work, tough.)

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ A – All of your folders should have the same Script Owner and File Owner ID’s, even the server’s /tmp folder.  I guess its possible to have a different ID for the server’s /tmp folder.  If that is the only folder that has a different ID then it is fine to dismiss the dismiss notice.

A.
    Participant

Indeed, even the tmp folder does not have different IDs – the IDs match in that they are both 0. All the other IDs match, too, so I will just dismiss it. Thank you!

keewee
    Participant

What is this? Do I have a mismatch? I uninstalled the plugin I thought made this occur?

Script|File Owner User ID Mismatch Notice
    You have different Script or File Owner User ID’s for this folder or file: All Script and File Owner User ID’s must be the same in order for BPS and other things to function normally.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ keewee – For 9 out of 10 people the DB backup folder has a different Script|File Owner User ID. The quickest way to fix this problem is to use the DB Backup > Create Backup Jobs Accordion Tab/button > Rename|Create|Reset Tool. The Rename|Create|Reset Tool renames the DB Backup folder, which corrects the Script|File Owner User ID problem.

If you have never used the DB Backup feature then create a test manual DB Backup Job with default Backup Job option settings just to get rid of the Script|File Owner User ID Mismatch Notice.

Hannah
    Participant

I saw this notification come up on a site where I was investigating why the owner was having trouble logging in. I don’t know if it had anything to do with that issue, but the fix for the BPS DB backup folder did assign a File Owner ID and Script Owner ID to the folder (they were both black previously) and the notice dismissed itself. Note that running the Setup Wizard did not accomplish the same, which is why I went ahead with the Rename|Create|Reset Tool, which worked like a charm. Thank you!

Sledge
    Participant

I am getting the Script|File Owner User ID Mismatch Notice message on my Namecheap EasyWP site. The only thing with a different owner that I can find is the mu-plugins directory which is locked by the hosting company and I do not have access to it. (I suspect the web server may be running with a different user account so that it can access this directory.)

In my local test environment, BPS Free places bps-mu-tools.php into mu-plugins. Can it function properly without this file in mu-plugins? Is there some way to work around this or is this restriction fatal? Is this the same problem as the GoDaddy one mentioned in the release notes for version 6.3?

What is the functional impact if mu-plugins is not accessible to BPS?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Sledge – You can just dismiss the Script|File Owner User ID Mismatch Notice.  The only thing the BPS MU Tools must-use plugin does in BPS free is it allows you set WP Automatic Update filters.  So no big deal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.